Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New to shooting/hunting rifle ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 PM

New to shooting/hunting rifle ?'s

With so many manufacturers..countless forums..how does one make an educated decision..

Looking for suggestions..
-Quality rifle
-Made in USA
-300WM
-<$2000

Would like to purchase once for a lifetime investment.

Intended use in CO..Mules and Elk..maybe distance shots someday if I attain the skill level.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New to shooting/hunting rifle ?'s

jj303,

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I'm sure there are plenty others to choose from but Savage 11XXs (I have the older 111F), Remington 700s/Senderos, and TC Icons are hard to beat.

ADDED: My Ruger M77 MKII is very accurate but it's a .338WM.

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 02-10-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

get a remington sendero . second choice a remington sendero. next a winchester laredo. the winchester model 70 super grade and the remington 700 cdl would be next choice. be sure to have a the trigger adjusted. have a vais installed. mount a good quality scope. enjoy.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

I'm not sure one can make an educated decision with all the information and misinformation out there.
If you know a hunter/shooter offer to buy lunch and ammo and make a time to shoot. I don't know where you're from, but if there is a local range go watch. If there's a Range Officer let him know your dilemma. Taken as whole shooters are a pretty windy bunch. If there's a club house listen respectfully. If you have questions ask. If you have no experience don't parrot someone else's opinion. If you get rejected take it gracefully.
With a little luck you might find someone to let you "try" their rifle. At that point you can
begin the basis of an informed opinion.
If you're anywhere near Spokane, WA. I'd take you to the range and let you fire a few through a variety of rifles.
If the above doesn't work for you. I've had very good luck recommending the synthetic stocked Rugers with Leupold scopes to the new guys in our group.
Other old guys-it's not doing us any good locked in the safe. Invite someone new or at least be open to the opportunity to teach.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the replies!

The Sendero sure is popular on this forum! Pushing beyond the $1000 mark I am curious how the Sendero compares to the Nosler TGR for a few hundred more? Any thoughts out there?

The Savage 111 Long Range Hunter sounds interesting..thoughts?

HARPERC..thanks for the offer. I am in Colorado..would take you up if the distance were shorter. I will look into shooting clubs..good idea.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

Welcome to LRH,, I have 3 Savage rifles and could not be happier. They shoot great out of the box, lots of ways to customize them and you can do most of the work your self..
Old 02-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

Another vote for the Sendero, i have seen several of these go for around the 800 dollar mark in the classified adds lately. If i had the extra money laying around i would have picked them up just cause.