Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New service rifle match shooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

Re: New service rifle match shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
i shoot 167lapua scenars out mine and 46.5-47.5 of Imr-4895.it was made in the 50's. It came with an early style KENTON KNOBB on the rear sight
Sounds like a nifty rig, but it doesn't sound like a service rifle.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Wonderin' about that one myself. An M1, perhaps????
Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Wonderin' about that one myself. An M1, perhaps????
Certainly sounds like a .30-06 load, but the mention of the Kenton knob on the rear sight seems to knock it out of the service rifle category. Until the M16 came along, the service rifle definition was fairly restrictive. Nowadays, it is less so, but M16 based service rifles are so much more accurate and shootable than their predecessors it isn't funny.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Know the feeling. Earned about half my leg points with an M14, and finished off with the black rifle. I can recall when a 470-475 would pretty much assure you of at least making the cut. Won't even get you a sniff these days! I was curious about the knob, too, but I suspect you're correct.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Know the feeling. Earned about half my leg points with an M14, and finished off with the black rifle. I can recall when a 470-475 would pretty much assure you of at least making the cut. Won't even get you a sniff these days! I was curious about the knob, too, but I suspect you're correct.
I went out in 2007 with a 465 which won the match. There were 36 shooters including several Distinguished. Conditions that day were terrible. I was the only person to break 90 offhand. When I got to 600, for my first shot I put 7.5 minutes of right wind on and caught a left side 10. Like I said, rough day; but it ended on a very happy note for me.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

As long as we're confessing things here, I legged at a Fifth Army Championship in Ft. Riley (probably around 1978 or so) with a 450. I'm sure there were at least two relays that never even saw their targets at 600, rain all day long and an occasional downpour. As it was, I got brief glimpses of my target, in between blowing the aperature out and trying to keep more water from getting into either my sights or the flash suppresor. Man, that was ugly! The folks who legged that day were the one's who didn't give up, cause there WAS no good relay to be on.

Ah, those were the days . . . never once a hint about stopping the match, headed back to the barracks with our gear smelling like a wet dog, and being given official blessing to break our M14s outta their bedding so we could dry them. Got out of the army and shot match rifle (M70s,naturally) for several years before going back and finsihing up the Distinguished in '99. No excuse since then, and I've been shooting Service Rifles ever since, even though I know better now!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZelenka View Post
Sounds like a nifty rig, but it doesn't sound like a service rifle.
it is a really nice service rifle. an m1 garand. it has a place for a bayonet. i love shooting it. the rear sight i believe goes beyond 1k. those scenars really shoot. does not kick much because of the weight.