Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New service rifle match shooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 12:08 PM

New service rifle match shooter

OK, first off if this is in the wrong place I am sorry, I looked everywhere and this seemed to fit...

I am trying to get into shooting Service Rifle Matches at my local range and was really looking for some good pointers, pet loads, good gear for my starting out.

OK I have a RRA NM A4 on the way it should be here today and have already loaded up some 69 and 77 gr SMK's to see how it shoots and to start load development. I also have a shooting mat but that is as far as my items go... So Like I said I am just really looking for lots of advice and helpful pointers. Also I was told that I must treat this rifle as if it was a BR 6 PPC and load accordingly but I have yet to load for "match" ammo, my stuff is very accurate but I haven't done any super stringent reloading so tips and pointers on that will be appreciated as well.

If anyone is unsure of what a service rifle match is I will be glad to explain it to the best of my ability.

Thanks again,
Joshua
Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: New service rifle match shooter

Joshua,

First, join this forum - Sign In - National Match Competition It is where most of the highpower shooters hang out. Next, contact your local match director and find out from him if there are any Master or High Master shooters who live near you. Set up an appointment with one of them and get him to walk you through a match including procedure, range commands and positions. Also ask the Match Director if he can arrange for you to borrow equipment for your first match, specifically a spotting scope and stand and a coat.

For ammunition, 24.1 gr of RL15 under a 77 Sierra and an 80 Sierra will take care of you. I load my 200 and 300 yard ammunition on a Dillon in LC brass so you can see that it doesn't get real special treatment. I do weigh my charges for my 600 yard ammo, but that is about it. My ammo will shoot .5 to .6 MOA for 10 shots consistently. The X ring is 1 MOA and the 10 rin is 2 MOA. Executing a shot and reading wind are more important than ammo. To borrow a saying from a friend: "Mental focus, not equipment hocus pocus." Learn the fundamentals and practice them until you can execute them perfectly and consistently. Your scores will take care of themselves.

Dan

Last edited by DZelenka; 02-09-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Joshua,

welcome to the game! Couple points to be aware of about your reloading here; Number one is, as Dan alluded to, there's no such thing as "load development" for an AR. Use Varget or RL-15 under a 77 and you're pretty well done. At any match you'll find the loads about evenly divided among shooters, but they'll probably be using one or the other. Secondly, I don't know who told you to treat it like it's a PPC or a BR, but that's the LAST thing you want to do. It's a Service Rifle, not a Benchrest gun. Some reloading techniques that are mandatory for a bench gun are not only pointless in a Service Rifle, they may actually be dangerous. You want to set your shoulder back .001" or so for a bolt gun, but if you try that with a gas gun, you'll be shooting a lot of alibi relays, and getting dirty looks from other shooters for delaying the match. Gas guns are different, and they need to be treated differently. Glen Zediker's got a couple decent books out about competition shooting, and one specifically about reloading for competition. Good info, and I recommend it whole heartedly. Also, again as Dan mentioned, there's other sites that are dedicated to this sport and where you'll find more competitive shooters. LRH is first and foremost geared towards hunting. Good info, but not always directly related to Service Rifle competition.

if you've ever got any questions, just give a shout out. There's a number of HP shooters here that'll be more than happy to lend you a hand. See you at Perry!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 PM

well guys I appreciate the help and the new forum to look into, this kind of shooting/ rifle is definitely all new to me and I am just trying not to feel dumbfounded. I will also look elsewhere for info but always welcome it from anywhere I can find it.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338RUM View Post
well guys I appreciate the help and the new forum to look into, this kind of shooting/ rifle is definitely all new to me and I am just trying not to feel dumbfounded. I will also look elsewhere for info but always welcome it from anywhere I can find it.
Go to the CMP online store (or perhaps Creedmoor Sports) and pick up a copy of the DVD set for service rifle shooting done by the AMU. It will provide you with a good overview.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

Join/afiliate yourself with a rifle club that competes in service rifle matches. Mostly follow your instincts, find a guy close to you to help you out.

Get to scheduled practices, with a team. The team will help you shoot, will loan you rifles, and gear as you get started. The guys are real friendly, and will be more than happy you are joining their sport.

Keep your loading simple. I recomend for ARs Ramshot X-terminator, or Ramshot TAC powders. They burn real nice and clean. The most cleaning my ARs get is the bore, and oil up the bolt/carrier, hammer/trigger pins.

BTW nice pick on the RRA!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

i shoot 167lapua scenars out mine and 46.5-47.5 of Imr-4895.it was made in the 50's. It came with an early style KENTON KNOBB on the rear sight