close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Reply

new scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: wa
Posts: 143
new scope

I have bin looking at getting a Nikon pro-staff rifle scope what power and reticle would you guys suggest? It will be for any thing within 500 yards thanks.
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 02-11-2013, 08:17 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: Boise IDAHO
    Posts: 838
    Re: new scope

    Out of the pro staff line up I would recommend the 4-12x40 bdc for 500- it is a great little scope.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 02-19-2013, 06:27 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2013
    Location: SD
    Posts: 89
    Re: new scope

    Hey,

    I've also been looking for a new scope. Was thinking of a nikon prostaf for a while. You may want to check out Vortex, as they are highly recomended.
    Vortex Optics - Diamondback Riflescopes

    See you later!
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 02-19-2013, 08:31 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2013
    Location: wa
    Posts: 143
    Re: new scope

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AH3682 View Post
    Hey,

    I've also been looking for a new scope. Was thinking of a nikon prostaf for a while. You may want to check out Vortex, as they are highly recomended.
    Vortex Optics - Diamondback Riflescopes

    See you later!
    thanks for the input I will keep vortex a possibility as I here they are very good scopes.
    __________________
    live a life that honors God and his grace will follow all of your days.
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 03-05-2013, 09:18 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2013
    Location: wa
    Posts: 143
    Re: new scope

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    Out of the pro staff line up I would recommend the 4-12x40 bdc for 500- it is a great little scope.
    between a Nikon prostaff and a leupold vx-3 rifle scopes would you choose?
    __________________
    live a life that honors God and his grace will follow all of your days.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 03-05-2013, 09:59 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: Boise IDAHO
    Posts: 838
    Re: new scope

    I have to admit I am not a leupold fan. The nikon prostaff is there entry level $200 scope and I have several and they work. Leupolds low end entry level (same price) is garbage and many folks I know have given up on them, switched to nikon and are very happy.

    That being said, the vx3 leupold looks like they would compare price wise with the nikon monarch instead of the prostaff. I have monarchs and they work well but can not compare with the vx3 as I have not used the vx3. I would say if your dabbling in the vx3 price point, there are allot of choices.

    Leupold makes some great scopes but not in the low end and dollar for dollar I can do better in the high end. So unless it is a steel of a price on a mark 4, leupold does not even make my list. My opinion and some of my opinions are not so popular on here but that is what I have sean in my experience.
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 03-05-2013, 11:34 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2013
    Location: wa
    Posts: 143
    Re: new scope

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    I have to admit I am not a leupold fan. The nikon prostaff is there entry level $200 scope and I have several and they work. Leupolds low end entry level (same price) is garbage and many folks I know have given up on them, switched to nikon and are very happy.

    That being said, the vx3 leupold looks like they would compare price wise with the nikon monarch instead of the prostaff. I have monarchs and they work well but can not compare with the vx3 as I have not used the vx3. I would say if your dabbling in the vx3 price point, there are allot of choices.

    Leupold makes some great scopes but not in the low end and dollar for dollar I can do better in the high end. So unless it is a steel of a price on a mark 4, leupold does not even make my list. My opinion and some of my opinions are not so popular on here but that is what I have sean in my experience.
    Thank you so much for all the info.
    __________________
    live a life that honors God and his grace will follow all of your days.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC