Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New rifle for my son.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 12:01 PM

New rifle for my son.

Hello friends ,

My son is itching for his first rifle and has asked me to post and enquire what you experienced riflemen think of the Howa brand of rifles.

I have grown up shooting with original Win pre '64 rifles so he has actually been shooting a bunch with these for several years now. As you can imagine a 17 year old to be - he wants his own rifle !!

I have an original 22 Hornet in pre ' 64 , 220 Swift in pre '64 with a Shilen barrel , 243 pre '64 just gone away for its 3rd barrel , 7 Rem mag on pre '64 action with Shilen barrel , 300 H&H on pre '64 action with Musgrave barrel.

As you will notice I shot the 243 a bunch and so has Simon.

I suggested he look at a 308 as I have not had one of these and I have read many impressive reports on this cartridge.

So what do you think of the Howa. We are accuracy freaks and do a lot of long range culling in mountain terrain and on the plains. Will this make of rifle please us ?
Old 06-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: New rifle for my son.

Get him a Tikka. Better reputation and same money spent.
Hard to beat a T3,in my opinion
Old 06-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger11 View Post
Get him a Tikka. Better reputation and same money spent.
Hard to beat a T3,in my opinion

+1... they dont call me Tikkamike for nothin! ..ok that was cheesy. tikka t3 in 243 would be pretty hard to beat. if you are going to go 30 cal I would go 30-06 over 308

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 06-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Gold Member

I've been debating this same question for a first big game rifle for my son. I don't have any experience with Howa, but I have recently had a lot of luck with out of the box Savage's.

cartridges all under consideration are 243, 7mm-08 and 308 win.

243 is a great first gun for the light recoil, but as we primarily hunt elk, I think it's a bit small. Right now I'm leaning towards the 308 since I can load a light charge 120 grain bullet for practice that will effectively have the same recoil as the 243, but then make hunting loads with something like the 150 grain TTSX that will have plenty of energy for the first few years. Then with the 308 you still have the option to load heavier bullets and stretch out the effective range as they get older and experience progresses. I think the "little" 308 win is a very effective and efficient cartridge that can very easily last somebody a lifetime of hunting big game.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:55 AM
Silver Member

I think the 308 would be fine.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough44 View Post
I think the 308 would be fine.
+1! I'm sure this is not going to be his last rifle.

No hands on experience on Howa but there are members that are very happy with them.

Roy, welcome to LRH and enjoy! Happy safe shooting/hunting.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:45 AM

Thanks for all your input. I really like the 308 idea. I think it may just produce a good hunter and a good shooter out of my boy.

I really think this is a most awesome site - so glad I found it.

I'm on facebook under Roy Sparks ( timeline ) , I will add you to my secret group if you like where you can share and view pictures of what we do here at home.