Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New rifle build...looking for suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

New rifle build...looking for suggestions

I have a Savage 16 fhss in a 7mm wsm. This will be my first full build. I will be using this rifle as my carry long range rig. I will have about $800 to start, so what first?

Old 09-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New rifle build...looking for suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
I have a Savage 16 fhss in a 7mm wsm. This will be my first full build. I will be using this rifle as my carry long range rig. I will have about $800 to start, so what first?
I'm not quite following, do you have the rifle or are you building a 7mm WSM from scratch?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Silver Member

I already have the rifle, which at this time is factory stock, unfired. I want to build off of this to make a long range carry rifle.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

I really like the new stock that Stockys Stocks has for the Savage short action. Pillar bed it and I think it would be a real nice stock while looking ridiculously great!!
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-502/*NEW!*-Bobby-Hart-Long/Detail If it will work with the accustock models.

Last edited by bigngreen; 09-27-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Silver Member

bigngreen,

Thanks for the input. I have been checking the internet for all sorts of info on all aspects of this build (I want to do it right the first time). I however, have not seen that stock before, thanks, it looks worthy of consideration. The rifle I have is pre accu-stock, if the action screw spacing is right then it may just work (I do love wood).

The main thing I am looking for right now is where to start. Should I upgrade the stock first, or get a match grade barrel? Can I have the action trued then put the factory barrel back on and shoot it out before I up grade it. I don't want any unexplained fliers, so should I just get that match barrel first and sell my factory one? This sort of thing, any input would be appreciated.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

A good quality stock that is made for LR shooting will improve your shooting experience, a ground recoil lug is also very good. Is it a factory barrel, I didn't know that they every did the 7mmWSM, whatever I would see how it shoots for sure, my factory 270WSM barrel is shot out and it still holds MOA out to 1000yrds if I have a good day! The Stockys Stock should work if you have a center feed action. I tried to polish the factory turd of a stock on mine and I thought it was OK till I stuck it in a Bell and Carlson, it turned it into a different rifle!
Most of the upgrade stuff to do you can do yourself and save coin on a Savage.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

bigngreen,

I agree 100%, I had a 10fp that was dropped into a Bell and Carlson and it also turned into a new experience of shooting. Groups shrunk in half, the stock fit so much better. The new rifle is a factory stock 7mm wsm. Savage did a run of these for a year or two, but the 7 wsm is starting to die away. I guess my tastes differ from the majority because I also would go 284 winchester but that is even more rare than the 7 short mag.

So maybe I should send the new Savage into Sharp Shooter Supply and have it trued, replace the recoil lug, put the factory barrel back on, bed it into an aftermarket stock, and see how she shoots.