Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New rifle build help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New rifle build help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406precision View Post
If your looking for a builder check out Snowy Mountain Custom Rifles - Quality performance rifles for long range marksmanship. they are a sponsor here and do tremendous work. They can hook you up with the nigthforce if you go that route as well.
Yup, they quoted me a full custom package topped with NXS and nitrided action and barrel for about $5600 which I thought was a very good deal. I will probably be getting one of their customs.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I guess I get to play devil's advocate After owning both NF & USO, I have to vote USO (the MDMOA is a great reticle). The only thing I would change about the USO you're looking at is the elevation knob. USO's EREK knob is bad to the bone, while it wouldn't be my first choice for a saddle scabbard it is my favorite overall.

t
I'm just a tight German so I'll take the NXS, Danke

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I'm just a tight German so I'll take the NXS, Danke

Neither is a wrong choice for sure. I would really like to add a 25x USO to my stable.

t

Old 08-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Neither is a wrong choice for sure. I would really like to add a 25x USO to my stable.

t
I have never looked through a USO but have heard a lot of great things about them and no doubt they are a great product. I have been through their website and I like the NF options a little better. USO does offer customized options but that comes with a price and I like NXS options just fine.

Broz let me shoot his LRKM last weekend and I got to check out his ACTAR. It is very nice! He and I are both SFP kinda guys so that scopes does the job for us. I also like the MOAR reticle.

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Bronze Member

Why don't you just drive over to Surgeon Rifles there in Oklahoma and pick one out? Well, it's probably not that easy but I'm sure they could build whatever you want. Support your local gunsmiths. You are really getting quite the hall pass from your wife. You better keep her. Good luck with your build.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Rain View Post
Why don't you just drive over to Surgeon Rifles there in Oklahoma and pick one out? Well, it's probably not that easy but I'm sure they could build whatever you want. Support your local gunsmiths. You are really getting quite the hall pass from your wife. You better keep her. Good luck with your build.
Good advice... on all counts

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Good advice... on all counts
i like that. too.