Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New rifle break in? True or hype?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New rifle break in? True or hype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
Then why is a break in process needed.. why not just shoot the thing...I totally agree with you. I dont think anything is going to get any "smoother" after the first 10 shots... I just dont agree that you have to shoot 1 shot..clean.. shoot 2 shots....clean.................................... ..Shoot 14... clean... Shoot 20.. and clean. TAH-DAH barrels ready to shoot with now! I agree that you have to brake in a barrel but I dont think you need a special procedure. I agree that some barrels are "edgy or rough" but I think barrel break in process are bullshit. Just enjoy the rifle and after your first box of ammo, the barrel will be fine. I just dont think that techniques or procedures are important.

Because if you dont clean the fouling it will snow ball and not smooth the tube at all.

Get over it. Take your new rifle out warm up that tube and foul her to death. It will shoot awesome!! FOR EVER!!!!

Old 12-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Because if you dont clean the fouling it will snow ball and not smooth the tube at all.

Get over it. Take your new rifle out warm up that tube and foul her to death. It will shoot awesome!! FOR EVER!!!!

*facepalms* Fine... Forever IS a longtime afterall.
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-17-2011, 10:49 PM

Boy did I ever get the pudding stirred up in here!!!!

ButI appreciate all the information i have read here.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
What is easier than letting wipeout sit in your barrel for 12-15 hours and push 5-6 patches through the barrel?
Using copper solvent annually just in case there happens to be copper present.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 12-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

I have written this article for LRH some time ago, about this very topic, PLEASE take the time to read it with an open mind and then you MUST read the following forum discussion linked on the last page of the article.

Both will explain and answer many of the common questions asocciated with "barrel brake in". If your not going to read it all then don't bother to read any of it. It is not a topic I will debate.

Custom Barrel Care At 17X

My feelings on abrasive paste are still quite strong, although I have now used Iosso in my F-class guns about every 350-400 rounds to remove some carbon in the first 6" of barrel, very limited number of strokes. 1 patch back and forth 3-4 times.

One of my team-mates has a 260 rem f-class gun that is now on 2300 rounds fired. It had really lost it's groove just before the team state championship. He scrubed the first 6-10" agressivly with JB in hopes of A. smooth up the aligators back, and 2. get rid of neglected carbon fouling. It worked and the gun started shooting again. This is an extreame case and should be done only for this type of condition.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

If you think barrel brake in is hype don't look at your barrel with a bore scope, you may suffer disappointment!!! Even my crappy one I use for mechanic work will allow you to watch the progression of the copper fowling working it's way up your barrel till it's broke in.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"