Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New Range..... Help!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Bronze Member

Re: New Range..... Help!!!

I never thought about using baler belts. I bet I can find some pretty easy. I have access to a lot of 3/4" & 7/8" steel rods from the oilfield, that's what I planned on building the frames out of.... I'm using a leica LRF 1600 rangefinder. I just couldn't remember the exact range of the top end offhand.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

+1 for the belting a chain will only take a couple hits. I use fire hose with the canvas and rubber it lasts, just don't use a knife to slice a hole through it if you are using any big guns the weight of the plate and the force of the bullet slamming it eventually will tear it.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwhacker View Post
I never thought about using baler belts. I bet I can find some pretty easy. I have access to a lot of 3/4" & 7/8" steel rods from the oilfield, that's what I planned on building the frames out of.... I'm using a leica LRF 1600 rangefinder. I just couldn't remember the exact range of the top end offhand.

That belting will last a long long time even whith bullets passing through it. fold a loop and bolt it back to itself at the top usinglarge washers. Then run that rod right through that loop. That will let it swing real nicely.

Just kidding about the RF...

Jeff