Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New Member Needing Guidance On My Next Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Bronze Member

Re: New Member Needing Guidance On My Next Rifle

If I was going to buy a dedicated target rifle it would have the heaviest barrel I could get. The light barrels are nice when hunting but for real target work the heavy rifles rule. I think you will be happy with the Savage rifles. Everyone of them I've bought have shot awesome with hand loads. Good luck on your decision!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 PM
Gold Member

Re-reading through this thread and I fully agree with the others who have advised on getting a heavy rifle. For target use, a light rifle is only going to be a handicap. Any of the 12 series would be great, I would lean towards something in 6.5mm, personally I would go with the 6.5mm-284 in the 12 Benchrest model. The big downside is now I want one and I'm not even a target guy. stupid long range forum.
Borden Timberline 300 Win Mag - Hart 26" #4 fluted - McMillan A3 Edge - Jewell Trigger - ATACR
Old 06-14-2014, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

JW- like i said a heavy 6.5-284, if you shoot where there is wind. it is more forgiving.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:09 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! It was really helpful. I settled on a riffle and purchased the Savage model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. For an optic I went with the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. I'm really happy with the setup and can't wait to take it out and enjoy it. The more I learned about the 6.5 Creedmoor the more I realized it was right up my ally for what I was looking to do with my riffle. I enjoy hand loading and am looking forward to working up some loads for it this summer.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:46 AM
Silver Member

An excellent choice for your needs. Long barrel life, inherently accurate cartridge, good scope, low recoil. Perfect choice.

KB
Old 06-19-2014, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW74 View Post
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! It was really helpful. I settled on a riffle and purchased the Savage model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. For an optic I went with the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. I'm really happy with the setup and can't wait to take it out and enjoy it. The more I learned about the 6.5 Creedmoor the more I realized it was right up my ally for what I was looking to do with my riffle. I enjoy hand loading and am looking forward to working up some loads for it this summer.
A belated welcome to LRH ... enjoy!

I totally agree with your decision on 6.5/.264 caliber. Don't have any experience with the CM but love my 6.5x55 Swede.

Good luck and happy safe shooting.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Bronze Member

I had the Model 10 predator and Model 11 LRH in 6.5 cm and can say both guns factory with hand loads can produce .5 moa all day long. I upgraded my Model 10 with a Shilen select match 6.5 cm and a bunch of other goodies and can shoot a 8 shot clover and that accuracy and precision maintains out to 1000 yards. You will not be disappointed in the Savage
Savage 6.5 cm Shilen select, HS Stock, Basix trigger, PTG bolt body & head, Karsten comb, Dark Eagle Custom mag, NSS nut, NSS lug, Valdada 6-24x50 ExtremeMOA, Valdada 20 MOA base & Rings, vortex bubble