Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New Member Needing Guidance On My Next Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 11:04 PM

New Member Needing Guidance On My Next Rifle

Hi everyone,

I am looking to get back into some recreational bench rest/long range shooting. A little about myself, I am an avid sporting clays shooter and compete nationally at the Master Class level and really enjoy the clays game! I did a little bench rest shooting when I was younger with a rem 700 varmint riffle in 7mm-08. With hand loads it was a tack driver if I did my part. I didn't shoot much over 300 yards as that was as far as I could go at my local range. Lately I have wanted to start shooting riffles again to take a break from shooting clays from time to time.

My goal it to have a set up that is good out to 1000 yards and possibly one day make a 1 mile shot, but that is a longer term goal for down the road. I have narrowed my riffle search to two riffles that are affordable to me. I am thinking of a 300 WSM as it is non belted and has a large bullet selection for re-loading. The 7mm WSM is also on the list. The two rifles I am looking at that are in my price range are:

1) Savage 111 Long Range Hunter

2) Sako A7 Long-Range Hunter - exclusive to Cabela's

I was hoping the gang here could give some pros and cons for each or comment on which is clearly the better riffle in terms of accuracy ect. I like the muzzle brake option and trigger on the Savage. I think with the 300 WSM the muzzle brake would be good for higher volume shooting. Also like the adjustable comb on the Savage. I feel like the stock is better on the Sako though and the barrel appears to be heavier but has no muzzle brake. As for an optic, I have been looking at the Vortex Viper PST riffle scope.

Thanks for any feedback as it is greatly appreciated.
Joe

Last edited by JW74; 06-12-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:23 PM
Gold Member

Re: New Member Needing Guidance On My Next Rifle

Will this be a hunting rifle or a target rifle. If a hunting rifle, what game will you choose to hunt?

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNoWind View Post
Will this be a hunting rifle or a target rifle. If a hunting rifle, what game will you choose to hunt?
This will be a target rifle and used to shoot steel at long ranges as well.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:52 PM
Gold Member

I'd go for the Sako, throw away the stock and mount it on a McMillan A5 and have muzzle brake fitted by a good gunsmith.
Marry all that to a Viper PST 6-24x50 with MOA reticle with a Harris HBLMS - Adjustable leg 9" to 13" bipod with Leg Notches and Swivel ... and go shoot.

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 AM
Silver Member

Sounds like you have it figured out. The Savage has more options that you like and will most likely deliver right out of the box.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

I too prefer the Savage. I have the 300WSM in the LRH and it shoots much better than my capabilities. It will shoot 3/4 to 1 inch groups at 300 yards all day long. This is from a out of the box gun with nothing done to it.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Richard View Post
I too prefer the Savage. I have the 300WSM in the LRH and it shoots much better than my capabilities. It will shoot 3/4 to 1 inch groups at 300 yards all day long. This is from a out of the box gun with nothing done to it.
Rick how is the recoil on your rifle with the muzzle brake? What would you compare it to? Thanks!