Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New to the LRH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New to the LRH

Well, then I would go with an SPS. Get a heavy barrel in 24". 1:12 will work for bullets up to 190 and sometimes 200grn. If you get the 1:10, then you can go as heavy as you want. A 180-190 grain bullet will do you well to 600 for elk, and probably even to 800 with good shot placement. You could load 175's for shooting 1000+yd for target and varmints. It's my belief that 24" is optimal length. If you go 26" or more than you will be able to take advantage of slower powders and heavier bullets, but the gain is minimal. I have a 28" 1:12 aftermarket barrel on mine. Next time around I am going full bull barrel to 24". Probably stick with the 1:12, but will look into the 11.25 used by the military. 155-180 are very good weights to use in a .308.

You'll want to Lapua brass, RWS, or Norma. All three are top notch. I use Norma and RWS. RWS is pretty expensive unless you buy it the way I did. I ended up buying their hunting ammunition at $20 a box. Shot it out and using the brass. CCI BR2 and Fed210M are your best options in primers, but the non match primers will work well too. Might want to try the wolf primers.

Get a 20MOA base of some type. That will help you reach out as far as it is capable. I know you said 500, but don't limit your self.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:05 PM

Now that I have my idea of a rifle. What scope do you guys recommend? I have looked into the more high end vortex scopes. But dont really know what to be looking for?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

I have the Vortex Viper 6.5-20. I would really like to have the PST. You want a minimum of 18x for really long shots especially if you want to hunt groundhogs or varmints of the same size. If coyote and bigger is your query, then 15x will work well to long range. Sightron 8-32 SIII, Vortex PST, I really like the Weaver Tactical Weaver 4-20x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope . I've read that the Weaver is really well built with good glass. Here is a review: Weaver Tactical 3-15x50mm - Sniper Central

Here are some other reviews:
Sightron SIII SS 6-24x50mm Mildot Scope

Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm FFP Tactical Rifle Scope - Sniper Central

If you are looking at using the reticule for ranging and hold off, then you really should look for something in the FFP (First Focal Plane). If you are planning to twiddle your turrets, then it doesn't matter if you use the SFP or FFP. All the FFP does is hold the reticule to the same hold offs and ranging at all powers of the scopes adjustment.

If you can score a Leupy VXIII in a power range you like, then you can get target turrets installed.

What rifle are you going with?
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 PM

The rifle ill be choosing will be a Rem 700 SPS tac in .308. I found a company the customizes them the way i want. GPS Defense Sniper School - GPS Defense Performance Package 700P .308 let me know what you guys think about the barrel length
Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Don't know anything about the company, but the 18" will be fine. It will slow you down a bit. You will want to stick to a 155-175gn bullets to really reach out. I use 200gn Sierra SBT Gameking with good effectiveness. I use the 175's for long range work.