Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New to the LRH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 01:24 AM

New to the LRH

Hey there, Im new to the long range stuff 300 yrds has really been my max for the past few years tried 400 and 500 just dont have the accuracy with my 223. Was looking into a new caliber to get. I am really in love with my dads .308. But my buddy shoots a 300 WSM and I like it too. Im just asking what anyone thinks about a good starter caliber to buy. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:29 AM
Gold Member

Re: New to the LRH

Welcome to LRH! There's a lot of knowledge available on this forum to help you with your goals.

To help get you the right info, provide a bit more info about the goals for your rifle in terms of critters/ranges you'll hunt. Do you or know someone that can assist you reloading your own ammo?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! Mostly the gun would be used for longer range elk hunting, Coyote hunting in the Arizona flats, and long range target practice. By long range i mean 500 yards and out. I would love to shoot 1000 yards but dont have the knowledge to do so. I do have a friend I reload with, the hand loads we have made for my 223 are super accurate. Reloading for another caliber would not be dificult.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

ADDICT- the gun is more important than the caliber as long is the caliber is appropriate for the game. you Have to have the accuracy neccessary . most questions here can be answered with - remington sendero and leup 6.5-20.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

While Ron like the Sendero, I am a Savage fan. 300WSM, 7WSM, 300Win Mag, 300 RUM, 7SAUM, 7Rem Mag, will all do what you need. The SAUM, 300WSM, and Win Mag are going to be the best options if you are considering a lot of target shooting. They will be a little easier on the barrels. If you have any plans of going past 800yds for Elk, then you need to consider the bigger powder capacity rounds. To 800 you could probably even get away with a 260, 7mm-08, 284 Win, 280/AI. The only reason I haven't added the 270Win, and 270WSM is that you will need to make sure you stay with heavier bullets, and they really excel in barrels not offered by most manufacturers. Though I do believe the 270WSM with a 150 Berger or Hornady SST will get the job done. This will get you started. Do your homework on all of these calibers and see which one suits your fancy. If you want to get a Remington or Savage action and put one together, then that just opens up other doors. Welcome to LRH.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoyoteAdict View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Mostly the gun would be used for longer range elk hunting,
Popular elk calibers span from 6.5mms, the 7mms, the Thirty Cal mags, and up the 338s.

Quote:
Coyote hunting in the Arizona flats,
Any of the above calibers would do well here.

Quote:
and long range target practice.
This should point you towards a caliber that has high quality brass available, and isn't overbore so the barrel lasts you a bit.
Quote:
By long range i mean 500 yards and out. I would love to shoot 1000 yards but dont have the knowledge to do so.
But is sounds like you soon will But it's very smart of you to realize the limitation in your whole "system" (i.e. laser, ballistic computer, shooter, spotter, optics, etc), but I would build it towards that realistic future 1000 yd goal in mind.

Quote:
I do have a friend I reload with, the hand loads we have made for my 223 are super accurate. Reloading for another caliber would not be dificult.
This will put affordable practice in reach, and help you obtain the precision you need to be successful at those distances.

Do you have a desired weight for this rifle?

If you're a truck/atv/road hunter, or very physically fit, than a 17-18 lb 338 might be the ticket. If your only vehicle while hunting are two LPCs (Leather Personnel Carrier) than the weight part of the rifle can play a role. It's just my humble opinion, that all the potential bad things going on during the recoil impulse makes lower recoiling rifle easier to shoot precisely/consistently. Your desired build weight may sway you to look at the smaller calibers. So what do you want this rifle to weight when it's all said and done?

Do you hunt with a horse/ATV scabbard that would potentially limit the overall length of the rifle? Do you have a desired overall length in mind?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM

The rifle of choice for me would be a remington 700. I love the action and it is a very popular and reliable rifle. Round.. Im really leaning towards a .308. I have been told that depending on your loads, it really is a all around great round. As for weight, I am fairly in good shape but if a was packing around the mountains for a few days i wouldnt like a cannon in my arms. So I would say no more than 10 lbs