Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New to LRH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Silver Member

Re: New to LRH

The '06 should be fine for your purpose. In my opinion, and I am by no means a long range competition / benchrest shooter, long range hunting / shooting is a matter of shooting a rifle that is known to be accurate and shooting it well. The easiest way I've found to gain confidence is with a big target. I have a 22" farm disc hanging on chains that I can shoot at from almost any distance out to 900 yards. I've used this for my own practice as well as introducing new people to the challenge of long range shooting.
My dad had never shot much past a couple hundred yards - last summer we got a good load worked up for him, and I used the Gunwerks ballistic chart to get his drops figured out. His first shot at 550 yards was on target (he doesn't smile like that very often).
Now, I'm not by any means saying a hit on a 22" target should give anyone the impression that they can go kill a deer at that range. It's all about practice. A big target will help you "walk" shots in while trying to learn how to dope wind. Elevation is the easy part, it's the windage that you will find that makes things difficult at extended range.
And, practice as much as possible from field positions. The only time I use a bench is to see the real difference between loads at short range (100 - 200 yards). There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on this forum (much more knowledgeable than myself), so take in as much as possible. I learn something just about every time I log on.
In the end, long range (non-competition) shooting is about shooting a good rifle well and knowing your capable range.
The hardest part is the addiction!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 AM

Again thanks to all for the replies. It makes me feel more comfortable knowing that others who know more than I do think it's worth messing with. Now just to find that scope for the 500 - 800 dollar range!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Silver Member

In that range, I think it would be hard not to take a real good look at the Minox ZA5. I've heard very good things about it and have been thinking of picking one up myself.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Silver Member

Look at the Super Sniper scope, it's a great scope for the price you pay:

SWFA SWFA SS Rifle Scopes SWFA SS Scopes

Curtis
Old 01-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

for the less expensive scopes . i have several bushnell 4200's. what ever scope you get it i believe you need to have a turret with the yardages for your load. you may need a some burris rings with the plastic inserts to get to the longer ranges.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

For that money, look at the Vortex Viper PST. They have a non first focal plane model for $759. It is at the top of your money allowance, but worth every penny. If you want to spend a little less, take a look at Weaver Tactical, and Vortex Viper and HS models. I own the Viper Vortex 6.5-20x44. I have been very pleased with my scope. Sightron SIII should also get your attention. It is quickly becoming a standard for Benchrest and F-class shooting. It is also a good line to look at for field use. The 6-24 would be the best option for power and huntability in any of the above options.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Gold Member

If your gun doesn't shoot sub-moa with match loads, consider having it accurized. There are many excellent gunsmiths on this site who may be able to help you. Hill Country Rifles also has a good reputation for this work. Could be just the thing to wring out all the accuracy from your rifle, at a reasonable expense.