Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New to Longrange Hunting, needing advice for .300 RUM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Bronze Member

New to Longrange Hunting, needing advice for .300 RUM?

Want to be able to kill out to 1000 yards. Bought a .300 RUM in the XCR. Also bought a Mark 4 6.5x20x50. Buying a Timney trigger. What should I do next? What rings and bases? Where should I start on reloading?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:39 AM
SPONSOR

Re: New to Longrange Hunting, needing advice for .300 RUM?

Best thing I could tell you to do is find a good bullet around the 180-200gr mark. The 180gr accubond would be good, a buddy of mine is having good luck with the 240gr SMK.

Do everything you can to make the rifle as good as possible. Get the action trued, bedded, whatever but everything will help. The 300RUM is a great caliber and you can get great accuracy out of it.

As for the rings and bases I would tell you to get some kind of 20moa cant rail and a good strong set of rings, I like the leup PRW rings cause they are lighter wieght but still seem very strong.

good luck
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 04-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Gold Member

get a basic reloading kit...I have the RCBS rockchucker kit, and then got the chargemaster 1500 combo. I love it, only been reloading for a couple months now. Just pay attention, read alot, and you'll be fine.
I also have a rem 700 300rum, and am still in the process of working up loads for it, so I'm in the beginning of the learning curve.
I feel like I have already started learning alot just buy working up loads and shooting a lot, with the RUM.

keep reading here, practice a lot, buy good stuff the first time, and have fun.
good luck
Old 04-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

Velocity doesn't mean everything when your looking out that far, but consistancy and accuracy do. Don't get too caught up in the top end loads. Find a mid to heavy weight bullet, (180 - 210), start it out at a decent pace and look for the most consistant load. Once you get the load down the rest will be just finding the drops.

Good luck, and practice, practice, practice. Oh yea don't forget your hearing protection [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 04-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I have had some limited luck with shooting 1K using factory ammo, but reloading is where it is at. A 200 grain ACCUBOND will definatly do the job on the 400" elk you obsses over, if you havent got him already. Me I am still trying. One of these years.... Any way, good luck with the new rig. You will love it!

If I can interest you into downloading a trial version of my software for reloading data and exterior ballistics, click the link below.

Regards!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

my brother and friends have 3 rem 700 senderos in 300rum. they have all added a vais muzzle brake; and adjusted the triggers. they use twist in mounts. they all shoot 180 ab with i think 94 or 95 of re-25. the leup mk 4 6.5 to 20 is a GREAT scope. the xcr is a very very good rifle; for me a little light for dedicated long range. i have a 300 win sendero with a jewel trigger. i have another 700 with a shilen trigger i really like that trigger. i have not tried a timney. have you shot a 400" bull ?? roninflag
Old 04-14-2006, 11:19 AM

Next you should get the action trued, squared,lapped etc.
And get the barrel set back and recrowned.
when this is done you have done about all you can with the rifle without changing any components.
When it comes to bases and rings get a 20 MOA rail and some hefty rings from Badger, Ken Farrel, IOR,USO, DD Ross or Near Mfg.