Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New to long range shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New to long range shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH90 View Post
I just started getting into this, i plan to reload but havent started yet. i'm wanting to get the maximum range i can out of my old deer hunting rifle before i buy a better long range rifle.
The model 70 is a great action so don't think you "need" to go buy something else to start over with when you've pretty well gotten all you can from it.

Just send it off to the gunsmith of your choice or directly to one of the barrel manufacturers and have them rebarrel it in the caliber of your choice.

Of course being a Mod 70 the 300wm would be a very logical step up the pole.

Get with a competent gunsmith, see if you can find a shooting partner that's got some real experience beyond 300yds.

Have the gunsmith do a basic accurizing job on what you have, a good trigger job, and then get out and shoot it.

If you can get to where you are shooting consistently 1" or smaller groups at 100yds, you can start moving out with confidence.

Also read all you can here and don't be afraid to ask questions. Most of us have already made every mistake that can be made so folks like you can learn from our experiences both good and bad to save yourself aggravation and help you along in the process.

Fortunately some of the High BC bullet MFG's are starting to take .270 shooters seriously so their are now some really good bullett choices for you as well.

As the others have said, this is addicting, and every bit of success you have will hook you even deeper.

Welcome to the addiction.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:43 PM

Re: New to long range shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
MH90,

Just be sure you go into this with your eyes wide open. This can become an expensive past time real quick.

First - you will want to spend a few $$$ to "accurize" you Win. model 70 to get your groups a little tighter.

Then you will find out you need a decent rangefinder to better calculate the distance to your targets.

Next comes a ballistic app to better determine your dial-ups and windage.

Only then do you realize that your scope does not track well or return to your zero - so a new, better scope is in order.

Finally, you realize the shortcommings of your current rifle and caliber, so you start a custom build in one of those big magnum cartridges.

Once your custom build is done, you spend more $$$ for some reloading equipment for better, more consistent accuracy and to keep your ammunition costs down.

Now you realize that your targets aren't holding up to all the battering they receive, so you need to buy some AR500 steel targets.

Then you start hitting targets way out there....but miss once in a while. Then the idea pops into your head: "if only I had...." and the process repeats itself.

It is a slippery slope my friend. :-)
All these things are very true! but thats why this is such an awesome hobby because The sky is the limit!! There is no top to achieve, its a lifelong journey! you dont need a ton of money to get into it,but as your skill and inevitably your interest level increase, so will the need for new and more capable equipment. IMO its a good idea to start with the less expensive equipment for 2 reasons. 1) it keeps the wife at bay 2) increases the learning curve when skill level grows, as you become aware of why the more expensive equipment is more capable. Thats just my opinion, some say buy the best right away. Lets just say your in for a heck of an obsession!