Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New to long range hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Bronze Member

New to long range hunting

Well i'm actually new to hunting altogether to tell the truth, I havnt gotten my license yet... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I havnt had the time this season to do it, we were busy moving and so on.

Right now I have a Stevens 200, 30-06. I'm sure that some of you or all of you have seen my posts. I want to know what the range is on this weapon, if anyone knows.

Well I also want to know, how exactly do you "long range hunt"? How do you measure the distance, how high or low you have to aim the weapon and so on. I'm sure its like sniping, well basically it is, since you use a scope and look through it and so on. I know somewhat about sniping, but then again, I dont know anything at all.

So what I'm asking is, can the experienced long range hunters run me through it, if you wouldnt mind?

Thanks to everyone that contributes,
Mario
Old 12-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New to long range hunting

well the range of you're rifle depends on its accuracy and the bullets you're using. Do you reload or are you factory. If you want to shoot long range an rangefinder is a necessity. I have a lieca 1200 and love it. I havent dealt with the swarovoski but I like my lieca. Dont bother with bushnell because in my opinion they are junk. So you're guns limiting range depends on the rifles accuracy, you're optics, you're shooting abilities, you're bullet, and the conditions you're shooting in. [ QUOTE ]
how exactly do you "long range hunt"?

[/ QUOTE ] You set up and shoots something. Long range is different to everyone. 300 is long for some while others are taking that out at over 1kyrds.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply. Well I use factory load as of now. I dont think I will be getting into reloading/handloading any time soon. As of now I use Winchester Super-X Power Point and Pointed Soft Point, in 150gr, 165gr and 180gr, for 30-06. The area that I will be hunting in you really cannot get "long range" shots, but there might be that occasion that your target will be a good distance away.

Also, what is MOA and stuff like that?

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Mario
Old 12-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Gold Member

well, we could go on and on answering a lot of questions about LRH, but there is already a ton of info on this site.

use the search button on the top of the page, and type in things like MOA, barrels, and whatever else you are curious about, and it will probably be in the archives.

there is a TON of info on this page, start reading about it and you will learn more then someone answering a couple questions. I know this because it's what I did, you start reading and you learn what a 210SMK (210 gr sierra match king)is, and moa(minute of angle),and everything else you ever wanted to know.

welcome to the site, hope you have fun.

buy some of those 180gr bullets for your '06, and head out and start shooting some rocks a long way away, and see how much your bullets drop, and you'll start to understand what long range is for you. 500yds, 800yds, etc doesn't sound very far when everone is talking about 1000yd + shots until you go and start shooting stuff at 500yds.

so have fun, keep reading on this site, you will learn all you need to know, and then some, just be careful it's expensive to read this site!
take care.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Bronze Member

Ok i'll do as you said. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Gold Member

good deal, not trying to be rude, but there is a lot of info, and I learned a lot just using the search button.

have fun
Old 01-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Bronze Member

Dont worry, I didnt take it offensivly or as if you were being rude [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].