Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New Long Range Hunter...an odyssey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Bronze Member

New Long Range Hunter...an odyssey

Hello all...I've been lurking on here for a long time and finally got bitten by the bug. It's not an easy proposition being from New Hampshire as long range hunting just isn't done much here. There are some bench rest shooters that I can turn to for some local help but not too many.

I need some help on what to do next. I secured a whitetail tag for Kansas and have a good place to hunt that should easily get me a 300 yard shot or longer. After much research I was able to find and purchase a Savage model 111 LRH in 6.5 X 284.

[IMG][/IMG]

So now what should be my next step? What base, rings, scope do you recommend? I want to get out shooting this soon so I'll have time to practice before I leave for KS in late November.
Also I currently don't reload so what factory ammo can I start with? I have a friend with a reloader that will be helping soon but he's busy this month with home improvement projects. I figure as long as I'm buying brass I might as well buy ammo and fireform it to my chamber while sighting it in.

I'll be keeping this thread going to chronicle my progression and hopefully culminate this with pic's of a nice whitetail buck.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New Long Range Hunter...an odyssey

I like the looks of the Savage LRH and getting it in a 6.5-284 maybe about as sweet as it gets!

Ammo wise I would see if you could find some HSM ammo, part of there web site is down but it may be worth a call to find some and give them a try. They load with Bergers and others.

Farrel bases are real nice on a Savage, on the cheep I use EGW but it seems you need to bed them but that is no big deal. I like the heavy tac rings like the Burris or Weaver.

Adjust your Accutrigger and make sure the barrel and tang are well floated and it should be GTG

Good luck, it will be interesting to watch!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Bronze Member

I've begun looking for a decent optic choice for this caliber. I'm mostly looking in the Optics classifieds because there are such good deals there. I'm currently thinking of Talley rings with a 4x16 scope with no larger than a 44 objective. Any reason I should be looking at 50mm or larger?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, because they look cool! Seriously though, some will say they gather more light and hunting shots usually come at dawn or dust when it is getting dark. I believe light gathering has more to do with quality of the glass, glass coating, and scope design. I don't own any scope with an objective lens over 42mm. They mount lower and do all I have asked of them. I have never lost an animal to scope objective size.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

aaahhh...how to improve the accuracy potential of a factory rifle....

Nephew's Transformed Rifle!

In terms of optics, what's your budget? On the top end, you should consider NightForce and Leupold MK4. Upper middle - Sightron. Middle class, Leupold VX2 and Bushnell.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

i do not care for scope with a n objective larger than 42 . 40 is even better. i like the bushnell 4200 as a good inexpensive scope
Old 09-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

Another scope to check out is the Vortex Viper.. Cameraland NY has a special on the 6.5 x 20 x 44. Very happy with mine..