Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New to long range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 11:59 AM

Re: New to long range

Thank you for your support. Have a bonus due this month, re-inlistment. Planning on getting a decent set up. Still don't know what kind of press I need to research. What brands of brass, primers, powder, etc. to look for. Any experienced handloaders in Oklahoma that want to help a rookie? Taken all the info and learning I can get. Going through old posts and reading so may find part of what I need. Thank you, SPC Woods.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Primers you can use include large rifle and large rifle mag. I use CCI BR2's. My favorite powder is H4350. I have had good luck with Win brand brass, but have just made the switch to Norma.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

With the WSM, go with Norma Brass (winchester is second choice), LR primers and try H4350, RL17, and Norma MRP powders.

Those are the three "go to" powders for the WSM. Other can work, but those three always work and best normally.

Almost no one is having to use Magnum primers. No need too and they give much higher ES/SD normally in the WSM case.

If you can get Federal 210 primers they are first choice, if not Wolf LR, then CCI.

For whitetails try the Barnes TTSX bullets I like the 168 grainers. If you want a LR bullet try the 208 Amax from Hornady.

As for loading, at this point I would not recommend a progressive for two reasons. #1 too easy to make a mistake if you do not know exactly what and how to set them up and to follow the correct sequences. #2, they cannot throw powder accurately in sizes for magnum cases. No one I know or have heard of is making quality comp loads for a magnum on a progressive.

Good used Rockchucker, Forester etc with simple but quality beam scale such as RCBS 10-10 would be ideal starting. Get the Sierra and Hodgen reloading manuals to start with. Look at retail prices of both the presses and scales and then go to Ebay. You can buy good used for 40-50%. Save the money for bullets and powder. Later you can progress to a electronic powder system, but you will still use the scale also.

I would not bother to buy another trigger at this point either. Putting a $200 Jewell on a stock remington is like putting a $1000 set of spinners on a Hugo. All you need at this point is a $40 trigger job by a good smith and set at 2.5 lbs crisp and clean for the Rifle Basix trigger. You can get the military discount with brownells and order it from them. Be sure to get their large catalog also. You can buy a good stock from them also later.

When you rebarrel and customize it, go with the Rifle basix trigger for $100 or if you just want to spend $200 plus buy the Jewell. Both are more than ideal for what you want.

Also check with Leupold Marketing dept about the military discount program. Ask for Myra.

BH
Old 05-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

You can get custom turrets also. In any formats- mils, moas, yardages...
It is best to take the gun with the particular load and get the true bullet drop path before sending that data in to get a custom turret set-up in yards.
-Check out the "kenton industry" website to save explanation on what a custom turret is capable of on certain scopes.

For max range hunting, some bullet path calculations include velocity at all ranges along with the drop of the bullet. A good rule of thumb is 2000fps for minimum impact velocity depending on the bullet to get good expansion. A bullet that doesn't open up results in wounded animal likely to get away. So those hard military bullets aint gonna work for hunting game, they really are for military applications only like piercing heavy armors and killing people.

All bullets and caliber combo are different for minimum impact velocity. I shoot berger vlds because it has high bc, out-pentrates all other hunting bullets I know of and has a violent expansion after pentrating about 2-3" in to an animal. The 7mm 168vld @ 3050fps pentrates 3/8" steel at 500 yards and the recommended minimum impact velocity is about 1800fps so this load easily keeps that speed beyond 1000 yards. Excellent for deer and elk.
Those accubonds are cleaner (not such a violent expansion) and has a lower bc so it is slower than the vlds at extended ranges. Yet those accubonds can still go over 1000 yards with the right load and gun for big game hunting. Accubond, hornady, berger, lapua, sierra, and on... they all will easily take big game out over 500 yard with hunting bullets. Some target bullets are not consistent on big game due to inadequate pentration.

Here ya go! Some turret and bullet info- you got a broad topic!

Last edited by theodore; 05-10-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:32 PM

Thank you for the good advice on presses. Would love to bed my 700 action in a mcmillan or similar stock and move to heavier barrel. Gotta talk the wife into it....lol. What die set will I need for the rockchucker? Case trimmers?
Old 05-11-2009, 01:27 AM

Alright, bought a redding t-7 6700 turret press with the automatic priming system. What else will I need to get started?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

the 300wsm has plenty of energy to 500 yards for okla whitail. 150 , 165 or 180 baltip any would be fine just find one that shoots 3 shot less than an inch for three three shot groups. l really like leup scopes, shilen triggers, macmiln stocks and krieger barrels. r