Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New here, hoping for advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2006, 12:29 AM

Re: New here, hoping for advice

First, sorry for being slow to reply. Work, school, and being sick rather sucks. Thanks for the relies and I will try to respond to each in the order they were posted.

Roy,
Thanks for the welcome and the links. Gotta agree that long range rifles will likely turn into an obsession, but my personal ethics probably aren't going to change. When it comes to varmints, its about getting the kill as the landowners expect results. When it comes to deer and other "game" animals I have a different perspective. Don't worry, I only apply my opinions here on myself. I put a personal max range of 500 yards on game animals for myself for my reasons. However, I certainly have no problem with someone else shooting game at any range as long as they can do it cleanly. Kinda one of those you do your thing, I'll do mine, and we'll all be happy doing our own thing.

Bob,
Thanks for the advice and I love the snickers anology. Can't do the .257 Wby route as my hunting buddy already has one and we all no you can't copy. I fully agree with your laser gun comment, but I think we both agree that, when you don't have time to laser the range and consult your balistics table, flatter is better.

Meister,
Again, great words of wisdom. However, if I was going to go with a .243 or .308, I think I would be further ahead to leave it alone as a 30.06. Don't worry, I have and will have other rifles to put extensive rounds through. For example, I am currently building a Shilen barreled AR that I expect to be a hect of a P. Dog slayer, which is one of my hobbies. I figure I can shoot the hect out of my .22, .223, and .308 as a substitute for only sparingly shooting whatever barrel burner I build.

Dog Caller,
I know what you mean man. Try doing it on a college budget. I have a feeling its going to be awhile before I get this project started. For the record, I really hate college.

Wildcat,
Not much to say, except it looks like one more vote for the 6.5x284. Looks like its going to might hard to buck the 6.5 logic.
Thanks all for the replies so far.
Matt
Old 03-16-2006, 08:44 AM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
For the record, I really hate college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enjoy it while your there my friend. The real world is not as good as it seems. I'd give anything to go back to my freshman year knowing what I know now. Best 7 years of my life!!! And no I'm not a doctor.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Out of your choices, I would vote for the 25-06. If you want versatality you can shoot the 100g or 115g btip at 3350, and 3150fps respectively. Great coyote, and longer range deer rounds. I have personally taken several deer at the 500+ yard mark with my 25-06 and the 115g btip. Its an accurate caliber, cheap to shoot, pretty easy on the pocket book, and will give you at least 3000-3500 rounds of barrel life. Its not as fancy as some of the other calibers you listed, but it will get the job done out to 600 yards on coyotes and deer.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Gold Member

Hey Matt,

Don't pay no mind to Dog Caller there, it only took me 35 years to save up for my new rig. Heck and I haven't even been to college. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have one thing for you to think about. Your only going through this world one time, there ain't no guarantees on how long that will last. You might as well get what you want and worry about the ripple effect later if at all. My brother in law would have turned 46 this coming Saturday, instead we will be having services for him. I know it put a lot into perspective for me.

As for the college, get all you can out of it while your there. It's way harder to try and go back for more at a later date. It ight seem a waste of time and effort, but most jobs now consider some sort of degree a minimum requirment. You young you will have time to worry about working when it comes. Get the education and you will be miles ahead.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 03-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

Mike, sorry about your B-in-L passing. Your sister is going to need ya.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:25 PM

Mike,
Sorry to hear about your brother in law and good advice on living every day for its potential.

On college, I mainly dislike it for alot of general reasons. First, 99 percent of what you do in terms of coursework doesn't apply to anything you will do in the real world. To say its a waste of time is an understatement. Second, if the USA was ran like a university, we would have a revolution. Yes, it is that messed up. Third, college students as a group are immature, self centered, and don't take life seriously. 4 years of that crap is enough for me. My idea of living life isn't getting stupid drunk 3 or more times a week. Sorry, too many negative experiences to count and I have a negative opinion of college and I can't wait to get out.

However, I do feel I have done a pretty decent job of getting the most from my four year sentence.
I will graduate in 4 years (May) with a B.S. in Animal Ecology (Wildlife) and a minor Criminal Justice and a G.P.A. of 3.4-something.
I represented the U.S.A. in the 2003 College World Shooting Championships held in the Czech Republic (shot trap)
I spent a summer trapping wolves for the USGS outside Ely, MN
I spent a summer living in the Bob Marshal Wilderness (Montana) studing grizzly bears for the USFS
I spent a summer working as a seasonal L.E.O. for the IA DNR
I am a current member of the I.S.U. Rodeo Team (I ride bulls)
I am currently in the hiring process with the US Border Patrol and hopefully will be working for USFWS within 5 years.

I guess I really don't fit the norm, I prefer the real world to college life. I have chosen a career field where I want to go to work everyday. Call me weird, I'm just not a college person.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Bronze Member

m jager
Have you thought about a 25/06 ackley improved?
It will fit your std o6 bolt face .With a 26 in barrel it should nearly equal your mates 257 weatherby in proformance.
Easy to form cases as all you do is load 25/06 ammo & fire .
25/06 cases are a lot cheaper than weatherby.
Regards
hjl