Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

new guy questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 06:07 AM

new guy questions

I'm in the Army and currently deployed to SW Asia, and a while back my driver asked me if I'd ever consider going hunting with him when we get back. I don't know much about rifles so I'm looking for a little advice.
What is a good all around caliber? 7mm, .308, 30-06? What manufacturers make quality entry level rifles/ scopes? With all the aftermarket parts would it be better to get a custom rifle made or buy a factory built model and trick it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: new guy questions

what are going to shoot at? where?
Old 09-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Gold Member

And approximate budget. No more than X, or money is no object or somewhere in between?????
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Gold Member

what size game are you going to hunt?

How far do you foresee shooting at game?
RR
Old 09-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Definitely need some more information in order to more completely answer your question....
  1. Game you intend to hunt (varmints, deer, bigger? all of them?)
  2. Do you want one rifle to do it all? or do you want a rifle that will shoot 2 out of 3 and then maybe build a second rifle down the road?
  3. Range at which you would like to engage targets/game
  4. Terrain....will you be packing/toting the gun around or just plant it "here" so you can shoot "there"
  5. Budget
Without the answers to those questions I'll say that generally speaking if you're new to shooting, get yourself a reasonable quality factory rifle. Personally, I started with low-end Remingtons and built them up as my knowledge and budget expanded. By doing this, you can begin shooting right away and start learning. If you buy a Savage or Remington, you have a rifle that is a great platform to begin customizing. Here are the write-ups on two of my rifles.....

This rifle is my "carry" gun. It weighs 9lbs and I tote it on my shoulder up and down the hills here in VA while chasing deer.....As an FYI, this rifle started out as a low-end Remington 700 Mountain Rifle.

My 280 - Updated!

This rifle is my "set it here" and shoot waaaaaaay over there rifle. I use it for varmints and deer. This rifle started out as a Remington 700 SPS Varmint (Remington Model 700™ SPS™ Varmint Specifications)

My 308 1k Rifle - The Evolution Continues!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

get remington sendero aND A LEUP 6.5TO 20 SCOPE.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 PM

We'll probably start out on deer to see how I like it. I've always enjoyed shooting but I've never been hunting before. Moose or Elk aren't out of the question but I don't know if there's any in Texas(probably not). I'm guessing the range will be anything between 100 out to maybe 400m.

I've been looking at a Remington SPS in either 7mm or .308. For optics, I really don't know what's good. I was looking at a Bushnell Legend 5-15x40. I could see myself eventually spending a couple thousand on a rifle and optics but right now my budget is kinda limited and this combination looks affordable and practical.