Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New guy muzzle brake question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 05:29 PM

New guy muzzle brake question

Im so confused.:confused: I have a Ruger M77 Mark2 in stainless laminate in 300 win mag with a Leupold 4.5-14 Boone & Crocket recticle and a Harris Bi-pod. The gun is factory. I have shot the gun on the bench out to 300 yards at the range and have been happy.I want to shoot farther then 300 yards but this is a starting point wich i must feel confident in under hunting conditions (bi pod) before i go for farther shots. What i do not like is the muzzle lift when using the bi pod. On the bench i can bear down on the rifle more to controll muzzle lift. I was going to install a muzzle brake but have read so many neg comments that now i dont know what to do. Magna porting isnt an option as its no longer available in Can. I am willing to wear electronic hearing protection while hunting as even now in the blind the gun is loud. I am sending the gun in to the smith to have the trigger worked on any other suggestions for this gun are welcome. The straight back recoil does not bother me at all just muzzle lift. Another Newb Question will muzzle lift affect zero of rifle from the bench to using a bi-pod where the hold down is different.

Thanks for any help this is my first post. Im sure i will as a few more nb questions.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

If you're willing to put up with wearing hearing protection while hunting and having dirt blown all over your rifle when you pop off a shot, I'd say go for it. They do allow you to spot the shot, and less recoil is always better for accuracy. Most of the guys here use them, I don't cause I don't have electronic muffs, and have no intention of buying them. Not to mention the dirt. As for POI shifts from bench to bipod, muzzle lift has less to do with it than the load on the stock, you just have to play with your setup and see what it likes as far as a forward (leaning into the bipod), rearward or neutral load. However you shouldn't worry about the fact that your POI shifts from the bench to the bipod, as long as your rifle shoots well with the bipod. Just set your zero with the bipod if you plan to use it while hunting.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

check with Shawn at defensive edge He makes a baffle brake that doesn't have holes at the bottom so shooting prone close the ground not a issue. i use hearing aid style that shuts off when the rifle goes off even with my braked 300 rum its not a problem

JIM

Last edited by Dead Beat; 11-25-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you're willing to put up with wearing hearing protection while hunting and having dirt blown all over your rifle when you pop off a shot, I'd say go for it.
I "put up with wearing hearing protection" any time I am shooting, whether it is hunting or not. Just a personal preference. I only have two ears and I want to protect what little there is left of them.

I have Holland style brakes on everything I shoot and feel that I probably have less problems with dirt and dust than without them. I don't hesitate to plop my $6K+ gun down on the ground and send 'em downrange and I never have a dust problem I can blame on the brake. If you were using a Vais style brake then you would experience dust problems but I think you'll find most around here recommend brakes without any bottom holes.

Quote:
As for POI shifts from bench to bipod, muzzle lift has less to do with it than the load on the stock, you just have to play with your setup and see what it likes as far as a forward (leaning into the bipod), rearward or neutral load. However you shouldn't worry about the fact that your POI shifts from the bench to the bipod, as long as your rifle shoots well with the bipod. Just set your zero with the bipod if you plan to use it while hunting.
Right on. Consistency from shot to shot is your goal and experience will tell you what your gun wants. You need to zero it with the method you will use in the field as you will probably find that if will shoot differently from a bipod than from a typical rest/bags on a bench.

I would personally think that you would be much happier with a brake like a Holland, one of Shawn's brakes or one from Kirby, and some consistent steering by you with your gun.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the help. Will a Muzzle brake help with the muzzle lift. I thought Magna porting was for muzzle lift and the brake was primarily for recoil.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

since muzzle lift is caused by recoil, any reduction in recoil will also reduce muzzle lift. That's simplified a whole lot, of course the design of the rifle has alot to do with how much lift there is, but it still gets the energy from recoil.
So short answer, Yes.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

I saw a Rem 700 LSS in 300 RUM hsot the otherday that had the barrel ported by Magnport , I mentioned to the owner that the gun still had a big of kick and he started on the rant about how he wasted all that money on the porting and it did nothing for recoil and muzzle jump.

Get a good brake put on and your problems with muzzle rise and recoil will be greatly deminished if not eliminated. The baffle style brakes generaly are the most effective till you step up to the big tank style brakes. The holland brake has three ports on the top of the brake that vent gas out the top and actualy push down on the gun and with some calibers like the RUMs the down force can be so hard that it'll affect the rifle just like the rise does.

As for the Bi-pod issue you need to lear that you rifle was certain needs and wants (like a typical woman) and it will tell you what it likes you can shoot leaning into the pressure of the bipod , or leaning back sort of pulling back on the leg tension or just neutral. At no point should you ever "bear down" on your rifle this will lead to very eritac behavior and poor accuracy , snug it up tight on your shoulder and keep your cheek pressure and in the same spot from shot to shot and if you need to hold the forend of the gun it should just be to pull it tighter into your shoulder.