Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New gun build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Bronze Member

New gun build

This is my first and I want to make it right. So here goes first off is the action should I go with a custom such as a Stiller or any other that would be good but still affordable or should I buy a rem 700 donor and have it worked up. The 700 would do the job I know but is a custom that much better because of of the added details such as a tighter bolt, extra long barrel tenon, heavier recoil lug, beter extractor for magnums, and heavier platform. I guess what I'm asking is the price difference worth it. The barrel will be a Broughton around 28 or so with 5c 9 twist. And stock leaning towards a Mcmillen M40a or T5a. The caliber Im interested in is a 7mm-300 WSM. The 7mm has always been a favorite of mine and the 7mm have a great Bc. Probably going to do it on a long action so that I can seat the bullets out far enough to maximize case capacity. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated because like I said this is my first and I hope to do it right.
Thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New gun build

If you don't already have the action then the money difference (depending) would be minimal by the time the Rem action is upgraded and with its initial cost. Using a custom action would also increase the resale value if you ever decided to let it go. The finished product would be a upgraded Rem or a fully custom rifle.

There are many variables and the options should be compared. If the cost is not prohibitive I would build the custom.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Bronze Member

What custom action to buy there are several to choose from. I have looked at most of them online but have no experience with any of them just looking for the pros an cons. I really want a custom but don't know were to start.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Official LRH SPONSOR

I use a lot of Stiller. For the money I think it is the best deal out there. I can sell you a Stiller and would be glad to talk to you about your build . Thanks Dan
Old 02-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

Having been down this road...

Find a gunsmith you want to work with and work through him. Would you act as the general contractor building your dream home if you knew nothing about construction?

I've done both ways with the actions. Getting a Stiller Tac300 is probably the best way to go. Better than a reworked 700 and less expensive than a full blown custom.

Good luck and have fun! Also, tripple your expected build time and double your budget You'll have a lot less stress and feel better when it's over!

Gene
Old 02-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will go with a custom action rather than a worked up remmy the question now is were is the best place to find one or do u order direct from them.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Range View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I think I will go with a custom action rather than a worked up remmy the question now is were is the best place to find one or do u order direct from them.
Direct from Stiller.