Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

new gun/build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 PM

new gun/build

I'm looking to get a gun for deer and targets out to 600-800 yards. Not sure what route to take. I've always been a ruger fan and have a .280 that shoots sub moa with handloads that I'd kind of like to put a new stock on. The other option that I'm entertaining is a Remington 700 sps tactical ad (I think those are the right initials anyway) that I could later get a suppressor for should I choose to do so. A couple buddies of mine have them and they seem to perform very well even with just the 20" tube and factory stock. Not planning to keep the factory stock forever but will for a while anyway. My mind is set on a Leupold Mark 4 scope. It's a 4.5-14 power which should do just fine I think. Just looking for opinions on the 2 options. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: new gun/build

If your 280 is already sub MOA, you should be in great shape to get to your 600-800 yard range. How sub MOA are you talking (1/2" groups or 7/8" groups)? What is your goal of shooting at those distances, paper or game? Depending on your answers, I think you will be good to go once you get your Leupold scope and you probably don't even need a new stock.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:17 PM

Re: new gun/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
If your 280 is already sub MOA, you should be in great shape to get to your 600-800 yard range. How sub MOA are you talking (1/2" groups or 7/8" groups)? What is your goal of shooting at those distances, paper or game? Depending on your answers, I think you will be good to go once you get your Leupold scope and you probably don't even need a new stock.
The 280 is popping about 5/8" then throws a flyer. Someone else loaded them before I started looking them. I have the data and will try it myself when I get the time to see what the problem might be. Ended up getting a 300 wm that's is shooting about 7/8" at 100 yards with a 180 grain smk and 68 grains of imr-4350. Little work there and I think I've got something to be proud of.