Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2004, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

New gun

Hi guys. Glad to be here. always been into shooting but just recently got the long range bug (relative). I'm thinking about a new hunting rifle. Currently use a 270 win thats been very good to me but want something more. I'm leaning towards a 7mm ultra mag or a 300 win mag. I'd like to use it for deer and elk under 650 yds but would like to tinker in targets to 1000 - 1200 yds or so. Any suggestions/comments welcome or let me know if I'm totally out to lunch. I don't know if this is something that has been addressed before but will be glad to look back to any previous posts recommended. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2004, 07:33 PM
Bronze Member

Re: New gun

While I don't have a 300 Win Mag. I do have a 300 WSM and it works fine out 1200 yards on target and steel plates. And anything the 300 WSM will do the 300 Win Mag will do equaly as well, maybe with a little more velocity. Especially with the 200 gr. and above bullets. Deer and elk to 650 will be no problem with the right bullet and a good load if you do your part. "If you are going to be dumb, you have to be tough". My dad told me that when I was kid after I tried to ride my bicycle off a 6' bank and crashed and burnt big time. I had never heard or saw that anywhere but from him. Did you ride your bicycle off a bank too?......LOL

RiverRat
Old 09-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

I also considered the 300 wsm but don't really think I need the short action. standard length actions and single shots are fine with me cause I will do whatever it takes to make sure I only need 1 shot. My dad also told me this when I jumped from a garage roof and landed on my knees, man did that hurt. I'm probably one of the dumbest guys around. have to learn by pain. I think it might be a twist on a john wayne quote that goes something like this. "Life is tough but its tougher if you are dumb".
Old 09-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Cowboy Have you read what a bunch of us are saying about the 300 Ultra Mag.It kicks --- 200 gr Nosler Accubond in front of 95.5 of Retumbo gives up 3,200FPS.Must have a muzzel brake,our it will knock you into next week,I have a Vias,it works well.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:30 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would agree that the extra horsepower of the 300 RUM would serve you well. At the ranges youare wanting to hunt at, out to 650 yards this would be in my opinion a better round, especially for elk.

For deer, there is no real need for a 200 gr bullet but there is nothing wrong with them either. To much penetration is never a disadvantage in the field.

Still I like the 180 gr Ballistic Tip, Ballistic Silvertip or Accubond for strictly deer hunting loaded to 3400 fps.

For elk, I would use nothing but the 200 gr Accubond in a factory rifle because of the performance this bullet is getting on game at longer ranges.

Your biggest problem will be getting a factory rifle to be consistant enough for you at 650 yards for taking deer size game.

Get a rifle designed for longer range shooting, such as the Sendero or something on that line. A light weight sporter can be used at those ranges but they are no where near as easy to shoot at longer ranges.

You may also need to have the rifle accurized to perform well at these ranges.

Once your rifle will handle the job, then you need to get prepared for those shots and this is only done with alot of range practice and ballistic studying.

If you want to hunt at 650 yards, you should practice at 800 yards in my opinion. DO not shoot at 300 yards and then go off a published ballistic chart.

Prove the numbers at teh range in the temps you will be hunting in and record all your data.

This is not real critical for hunting out to 400 yards but when pushing a factory rifle to 500 yards and beyond, you need to have your ducks in a row before the shot opportunity arises.

I also agree with the muzzle brake, I highly recommend the Holland QD brake for my customers heavy kicking big game rifles but most popular brakes will reduce the recoil noticably.

I just prefer the Hollands because they have a solid bottom and are designed to be fired from prone field postitions without covering the shooter with ground debris.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-27-2004, 08:55 AM

Cowboy-- I have had Vias and Holland brakes, the Holland works better. The S1 brake works better than either of them though, and it controls the torque, which is way better when shootin off a bipod. He makes two models, one with holes all the way around, and one with no holes on the bottom or top, this is the one he put on my 300 WSM and it is the best brake I have ever tried by a good margin.

I have two buds with Rem 700 stainless Ultra Mags, one is in 300 and the other in 7 mm, both shoot great, under 5 inches at 600 yards. And both gents have taken game past 800 yards very cleanly. You can't go wrong with any of the big calibers, shot placement and reading the wind is what counts on the long kills.

Ralph
Old 09-28-2004, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member

Cowboy

Go with the 300 WSM. I have shot a 18" group at a mile with 210 JLKs from my 1k HG.

For hunting almost any heavy barreled bolt action (sendaro, win coyote, stealth, savage etc) with lapping lugs, bedding and recrowning is more than adequate for deer at 650 yards and beyond if you practice and work up a decent load.

My win coyote 300 wsm goes about 10-14" at 1000 with only bedding, trigger adjustment and lapping lugs. They should easily go 1 MOA with 165 or 180 interbonds, accubonds, amax etc.

As for a brake, for hunting you will not need it. If you want one, buy the Holland ($65) and have your gunsmith make a threaded cap for barrel when you take the brake off.

BH