Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

New Gun

Just bought a new savage 12fv 22-250 and was wondering if i really need to break the barrel and how important it is to the accuracy of the gun! I live in michigan and it is 20 degrees outside and coyote camp is just around the corner! Does not give me ideal conditions for breaking in a new gun!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Silver Member

Tommy:
Very important to break it in. Use something else for coyote camp until you have a chance to break the new one in properly?
1kstr
Old 01-18-2008, 06:40 PM

Tommy: Personally, I agree with 1kstr - I always go thru a break in process with a new rifle. However, as with many other subjects, there are others who believe break in is a waste of time and money.

Secondly, there are a number of suggested ways to break in a rifle, either on this or other forums, besides than firing. One way I have read (from a knowledgeable shooter) is to run 100 patches of JB bore paste thru the barrel to lap the rifling.

Given the outside temp, I would try this, or some other indoor technique, as a minimum. Don't forget too you will have to sight in the rifle, so some number of shots will be fired before camp... clean the bore throoughly between each shot, as well as cleaning after each 5 shots (for 10 iterations), if possible, while hunting. And don't overheat the bore!!