Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

NEW Custom gun versus Building new gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Bronze Member

NEW Custom gun versus Building new gun

Hey guys, im just starting out in this long range stuff. Im thinking about either buying a pre assembled long range gun like a HART, Best of the west in a 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. These guns are very expensive and i dont want to get taken advantage of. Is it better to buy a gun already put together and comes with load data? or is it best to have a gun smith build you a custom gun with all new parts and do the load development yourself? I see alot of the Harts and Best of the best of the west guns cost up to or even more than $6,000 , how much would it cost to have a gun smith build you a gun to the same quality with new parts? any advice would be great,. I am reloading my own ammo and able to do the load development... I want a left handed long range carry gun for western hunts...
Old 02-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: NEW Custom gun versus Building new gun

Look at the Kelby Atlas guns for half that. Top notch systems.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Check out Extreme Outer Limits guns. Extremeouterlimitstv.com MOArifles.com

Last edited by WyoElk2Hunt; 02-10-2014 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added tv
Old 02-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Check out cloud peak gunworks!

Cloud Peak Gunworks Home Page

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 02-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Have you looked at Len's supply of long range rifles? The icon long range rifles will get you there. Short delivery times, and guaranteed accuracy. Worth a look.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:45 AM
Silver Member

To answer your question, a good gun smith can build you an awesome gun at less than the big name builders out there. The big name builders are awesome and they will stand behind their guns; if not they wouldn't be able to charge 6k or more for a rifle. Some of the big name guys are just truing up a Remington 700, bedding a good stock and putting a good barrel on it. A local gunsmith can do that for less money. If you have a gunsmith you can trust I would go that route. I like doing my own load development too. It gives me more trigger/practice time and I am getting things set the way I like them and can recreate them. A good gunsmith should be able to build you a rifle with superb accuracy for around 2k or so (maybe less), depending on what exactly you want. Buying a custom action is the best place to start for supper accuracy and sometimes you aren't in it much more than having an average action trued.

Last edited by jpd676; 02-11-2014 at 02:48 AM. Reason: details
Old 02-13-2014, 01:22 AM
Silver Member

Find a good smith and have him build you exactly what you want.
I had Hart tune up an old Remington 722 action and put a 6BR barrel on it for squirrel shooting and I did the trigger and bedding. It's a solid sub half MOA rifle out to 500. It an awesome gun to shoot. They also trued up a 700 action and put a fluted Hart barrel on it in 300 win mag. I did the trigger and bedding and it shoots right around 3/4 MOA to 1k. Some times a little more sometimes less.
My point is you can do some of the work yourself and save a fair bit of money. Let them do the metal work and take care of the easier stuff yourself if money is tight.