Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New barrel break-in?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 10:32 AM

New barrel break-in?

Just bought a Tikka t3 lite stainless in .243. Just curious if anyone knows if they come ready to shoot or if the barrel needs to be cleaned before each round? If so for how long? Thank you.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:56 PM

Re: New barrel break-in?

Yes new barrels should be broken in,when I have a new barrel to break in I clean the barrel after every shot for 20 rounds making sure the barrel stays cool ,then I shoot 6-8 3 shot groups cleaning after every 3 shots, after that i dont shoot more than 21 rounds without cleaning for 100 rounds or so,some say my method is a little extreme but it works for me.I also look at the bore with a hawkeye borescope before i shoot it and after the first 40 or so shots,good luck with your new gun.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomasb1 View Post
Yes new barrels should be broken in,when I have a new barrel to break in I clean the barrel after every shot for 20 rounds making sure the barrel stays cool ,then I shoot 6-8 3 shot groups cleaning after every 3 shots, after that i dont shoot more than 21 rounds without cleaning for 100 rounds or so,some say my method is a little extreme but it works for me.I also look at the bore with a hawkeye borescope before i shoot it and after the first 40 or so shots,good luck with your new gun.
It only takes one shaving to ruin a barrel so I will use your platform. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Hey bthomasb1,

Sounds like good advise for break-in. I follow a regiment too. But just a little less regimental that yours and so have always wondered if I should do more

I usually clean each round for the first 10 shots. Then after the every 3 rounds for the next 15 shots. I do seem to notice that the bore starts to seem less fouled after those first 25 shots.

Question: How do your bores look before and after break-in with the bore scope? You hear a lot of folks talk about break-in but very few who actually check with a bore scope!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 PM

Hello Farout,factory barrels tend to look gray,dingy and have several tooling marks in the chamber and the barrel itself, before shooting them,after breakin the start to shine up and show less tooling marks and will be noticably easier to clean.40 shots can sometimes do a lot for a barrel.If they are really bad to start or dont start to clean up after the first 40 I will firelap the bore but to be honest if the bore is that bad it will probally never be a great gun in my book
There are several video's on youtube that will allow you to see some bores if you want
Old 11-27-2012, 11:12 PM

SIOUXcountry,your welcome I hope it works well for you.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

This is Remington 700 but still related to your query ...

As far as barrel break in, I use Lilja's too ...

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Centerfire Maintenance

Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.