Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

New 7mm Rem Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2004, 11:09 PM
Bronze Member

New 7mm Rem Mag

Got my new toy today! Got this one in a Rem 700 BDL action. I already have good optics, basses and rings. Need to find a good stock, and a break for it now. Wanting a thumb hole stock or something other than the plain-jane. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Kinda want to do this much before going to the 30" bbl. just to get some trigger time. Hope this rig will shoot as good or better than my .30-06 or .270 savage. Around here its next to imposible to find a shot over 500 yards. But dam sure fun to try. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2004, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New 7mm Rem Mag

MPI makes a nice kevlar graphite thumbhole stock. He offers it in ambidextrious, and also right hand or left hand. My buddy has the ambidextrious and it's very comfortable, and light.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:14 AM
Bronze Member

Re: New 7mm Rem Mag

Do they have a web site? What might be a rough idea of price?
My other question is how much recoil could I expect as compared to my .30-06 at about the same weight? (9.5 lbs.) Will I need a break on the magnum if I don't like the recoil of the -06?
Also, been hearing alot local about Douglas barrels, But don't seem to hear much on this board about them. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Not looking for a tack drive at 1000yrds, but would like to make it huntable out to 750-800 range. Problems such as money and skill keep me from building the best. Any thoughts?