Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Nesika's for hunting (worried about dust)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Nesika\'s for hunting (worried about dust)?

I would bear in mind that they may be wording things a bit differently that you do...

Them saying that they build all their actions on the same tolerance level does NOT neccessarily mean what you interpret it to mean.

If the bolt body fits too closely in the reciever, then a bit of dirt, sand, etc. can cause galling and stuck bolts. To avoid this, makers of tactical and hunting actions leave the bolt body fitting a little looser. Some have labeled this "looser tolerances" but that's not entirely correct.

Tolerance is, most correctly, the acceptable difference between what the design spec calls for vs. what the machining produces. If the design spec calls for a looser fitting bolt, and they build all their rifles to within the same tolerances, then you will have a very exactly looser fitting bolt.

I would suggest, on the other hand that you perhapse look into getting a genuine Borden action, either a rimrock, or one of the hunting versions. The only reason I suggest that is Mr. Borden has a patent on his invention, the "borden bumps" and according to him, he never authorized Nesika or any other maker to incorporate that invention into their design. I find doing so anyway to be a distasteful and dishonest thing to do, and personally would not patronize a company that behaved in that fasion.

Also, run a search on Nesika. More recently, since they and Dakota went belly up, things have not been going so well for people who order their actions. At least one VERY long post of a true nightmare, and several smaller anecdotes are running sround about this...
Old 03-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Nesika\'s for hunting (worried about dust)?

Several of us have the Nesika M actions on true long range hunting rifles. These rifles get hunted hard in rain and snow. They function just fine and shoot really great.

The Nesika website will show you some of the actions they have in stock.

I would go Nesika again and would not even consider a different action. Of course I am not any great benchrest shooter. I just go hunting. Sometimes I kill something and sometimes I don't. I went hunting today and I will go again tomorrow. Wouldn't want my bullets to get old an lonely just sitting on the shelf.