Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Need some advice toward my 270 upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-20-2009, 09:13 PM

Need some advice toward my 270 upgrade

270 cal is my preferred deer cartridge.
I deer hunt the extreme NE corner of the South Dakota coulee country near Sisseton.
We walk for miles each and every day for most of the month of November.
This will continue to be my daily carry deer rifle so I want the weight to remain below 10 pounds.
I know there are better ballistics and bullet choices available with other calibers out there but I am determined to own a fine shooter in 270 Win.
I want to squeeze some more accuracy out of it for those 400 - 500 yard shots at broadside trophy bucks I pass on each year due to the limitations of the rifle and factory ammo.
I won't have the time to set up a reloading bench this year with Minnesota bear baiting on the horizon so I will be shooting Hornady & Black Hills ammo for one more hunting season.
In the mean time I will be putting all of your advice to work toward accurizing my deer rifle.
Who makes a top quality custom barrel for my medium to long range application?
There are a lot to choose from - each one claiming to be the best for one reason or other.
I figure you guys would know from experience.
Any advice on my bolt concerns?

Thanks largely to this forum I'm already pondering caliber choices for an extreme long range custom rifle in the future.
(I still can't believe the impressive distances you guys routinely talk about.)
There are a number of perfect sniping spots in our area that I plan on packing a heavier long range rifle into in the future.

Unread 07-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need some advice toward my 270 upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearhyde View Post
270 cal is my preferred deer cartridge....I know there are better ballistics and bullet choices available with other calibers out there but I am determined to own a fine shooter in 270 Win.
Clearly you're married to the .270, but I will try one more time...if you're going to rebarrel your gun consider the MANY great 7mm choices...280Rem, 280AI. If I had to do it over again, I'd have chosen 280AI for my carry rifle. It has similar ballistics to the 7mm Mag, but without the recoil.

Quote:
Who makes a top quality custom barrel for my medium to long range application?
Personally, I chose Hart Rifle Barrels in New York Hart Rifle Barrels They have a great reputation and they will make your barrel and install it for you.

There are some other companies that make great barrels - Kreiger, Broughton, Shilen. Although I'm not certain, these companies will make the barrel for you, then you will have to get a gunsmith to do the install.

If you plan to have your rifle rebarreled for this coming hunting season, get on this project quick. Hart turned my project around fairly quickly and that took four months.

Quote:
Any advice on my bolt concerns?
Here's a question I'll leave to one of the gunsmiths on this board as I don't have much experience in remedying this type of issue.

Quote:
Thanks largely to this forum I'm already pondering caliber choices for an extreme long range custom rifle in the future.
Welcome to the addiction! There's no known cure. All you can do is mitigate withdrawal symptoms with regular shooting and continuous acquisition of more rifles.
Unread 07-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

+1 on the 280 Ackley Improved. It has ballistics close to the 7mm Mag. with less powder and less recoil, and it headspaces off the sholder, not the belt! Another plus for the 280 AI is that you can buy brass from Nosler, no fireforming needed!

Mine is built on a Rem. 700 action with a 26" 1:8 Bartlein barrel and a H-S Stock. It really likes the 160 Nosler Accubonds, it shoots under 1/4MOA, great shooting rifle. It also likes 175 MatchKings.

But I would try to make the factory barrel shoot first, not uncommon to get 3/4 MOA or better. Then consider rebarreling.

X3M

Last edited by X3MHunter; 07-21-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Unread 07-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

I would recomend a 280 rem because it would work in your action with out any changes
and would be almost the same in felt recoil ,Plus the 7mm bullets have a better ballistic coefficient than the .277 because of the number of bullets and the popularity of the 7mm
calibers.

Don't get me wrong the first 600yard match that I won was with a 270 win and hunting bullets
because they didn't make match bullets.

As far as custom barrels any one will out perform the factory barrels. some to look at are Lilja,
Hart,Shillen,keiger and Brux just to name a few.

As far as barrel weight I would recomend one the same contour as your factory barrel or one size larger.

Pillar bedding and a new trigger will help and you can replace the stock firing pin with a speed
lock but it's not nessary because the J lock only locks the firing pin to the shroud and when
locked opened does not slow down the firing pin.

Something to think about

J E CUSTOM
Unread 07-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

If you want to stay with the .270:
The advice here on bedding/truing/floating etc. is all good, but!!

Start working up a load with the higher BC 150gr bullets. Better retained velocity.
Find out how deep YOUR rifle's throat is and tweak the COL until you find which depth yours likes, and hope it will fit in the magazine.
Many factory .270s are throated to accept the 160gr round nosed slugs and have throats that are way deeper than practical. This is probably contributing to your 2" groups (with 130gr?) @100. Some bullets/loads like to jump, others don't.
Then if you find you're not getting the velocity/accuracy combo out of it you want, you might try having the chamber Ackley'd. Then you get to start over on your load workup.

If you do rebarrel, I agree with the above, go with the .280AI.
Unread 07-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

krieger barrel the fatter the better. free float it
Unread 07-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

i did not read all the posts. a hart barrel would be good too. my kriegers all shoot everything good. 1/2 min. you don't have to fuss around with loads. just load and shoot. my rem 700 factory barrel 7mm shoots one load .6-.7. 2" is not enough accuracy for 500 yard shots. once you get less than an inch at 100 try some groups at 400 and 500.