Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Need some advice on a new rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 07:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: Need some advice on a new rifle

6072mc
You are getting very good advice. If you bought a 1000 rounds of X brand of cartridge and it did not shoot well in your rifle what would you do? Reloading is not expensive in compairson to buying across the counter even in bulk. In addition you can taylor your load to "your" rifle. It seems complex but many here like myself have been loading for 40+ years and have excellent rusults with our ammo.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

I have been load since I was a teenager. If I could do it at 14, you could do it now. By the way... I'm 35 now.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Silver Member

Just a side note but the 150 grain winchester silvertips out of the 300 wsm turn crows into RED MIST and a cloud of feathers @300 yards!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:26 PM

After all the replies in this thread I think now that I am leaning more towards the 300wsm. I think, untill today...

I did some bullet searching today and made a spreadsheet in excel on the trajectory of some factory produced ammo for the 300 WSM & 7mm WSM. I used Winchester and Corbon manufacturers' and using the provided details for the rounds I input them into Hornady's Ballistic calculator. 100 yard sight in, 1.5inch sight height, muzzel velocity (3010 for the 300wsm - 2850 for the 7mm wsm), 35 degree's, Barometric pressure 29.53, humidity (78%), and Ballistic Coefficient for each round.

300 wsm @ 180gr Winchester's E-Tip had a trajectory of -288.6 inches at 1000 yards
7mm wsm @ 180gr Corbon's Performance Match VLD had a trajectory of -251.3 inches at 1000 yards

That's 37.3 inches less elevation needed for the 7mm wsm from a factory produced bullet which is what I will be shooting for at least the first year. I won't ever need to go above 180gr's, so is the 7mm wsm the better choice since it has less bullet drop at a thousand yards? I'm just looking at the most bang for my buck or more specifically less drop at a thousand yards for a 180gr's?

PS.
Also How does handloading compare to these trajectories for both caliber's?

Last edited by 6072mc; 01-03-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

I would guess that many more 1000 yard matches have been won by the 308 caliber than any other. But there are a lot more 30's out there so that info may be skewed.
Some one will post other info here for sure.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Silver Member

I don't know much bout the 7mm but I absolutely love my 300wsm! I've not gone out to a grand yet but will be giving it a try later in the year.....as of right now I'm shootin winchester 150 grain silvertips cause that's what I got for Christmas...so far I love it and,around here anyway,.308 bullets are easier to come by when I get my reloadin stuff set up....
Old 01-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6072mc View Post

300 wsm @ 180gr Winchester's E-Tip had a trajectory of -288.6 inches at 1000 yards
7mm wsm @ 180gr Corbon's Performance Match VLD had a trajectory of -251.3 inches at 1000 yards

That's 37.3 inches less elevation needed for the 7mm wsm from a factory produced bullet which is what I will be shooting for at least the first year. I won't ever need to go above 180gr's, so is the 7mm wsm the better choice since it has less bullet drop at a thousand yards? I'm just looking at the most bang for my buck or more specifically less drop at a thousand yards for a 180gr's?

PS.
Also How does handloading compare to these trajectories for both caliber's?
I understand what you are trying to do, but you can't compare 180 .308 w/ 180 7mm. To do a true comparison you need to use bullets with matching Ballistic Coefficients. In that case you need to compare the 180 7mm with a 210 .308.

Is the 7mm a better choice, well that is going to open a whole lot of debate. So here are my thoughts. The 7mm with a 180 Berger has been doing some phenomenal work on big and little critters at some pretty amazing ranges. However, these great feats of distant shots have been made by those with the ability to do so. Shot placement is the greatest factor between pellet guns and 22's, muzzle loaders and centerfires, cannon's and bombs. Being able to place the shot precisely where it is needed is the greater factor. So with that said, the .308 is going to retain more energy and velocity at a specified range with bullets having ballistic coefficients of equal or close to equal value. Now we are getting into physics which I know nothing about.... but is has something to do with weight x mass x velocity= desired results! Well that's how I see it anyway.

Best bang for the buck with factory ammunition is going to be the exact opposite. The more buck, for the better bang. There are some great vendors out there with good bullet selections, it's a matter if your rifle will shoot it. What happens if you 7WSM doesn't like the Corbon load? It's a matter of trial and error. Either one is going to do the job you ask of it.

How does handloading improve trajectory? Because you can hand select components to optimize the caliber you wish to use. You can load higher grade bullets, you can run higher powder charges, slower or faster powders, to achieve the velocity you desire. You can take that same factory 180 .30 cal and speed it up. It may not quite match the 180 7mm, but you can improve it over factory. Your accuracy will be optimized. Would you rather wear underwear made of wool your Aunt Gertrude made you knowing it works and serves its purpose uncomfortably, or pick something out that you like and know that it fits you just right and feels good? I prefer picking my underwear!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!