Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Need some advice on a new rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 10:55 AM

Re: Need some advice on a new rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
For deer, the WSM in 7mm or .30cal is going to get you to 1000. For elk or black bear, then you really should go with the 300WM, but guys on here are getting superb performance out of the 7WSM using 180 Berger's. Does this help or add any clarity?
I will look at handloading a little further down the road for sure.

Black bear is never going to happen. I have only seen one in the wild in my entire life. Elk will happen someday, but I just learned that the family land that I am hunting that has elk on it, is not a legal elk hunting county here in oklahoma. This leave's muely's, whitetails and paper targets for what I will be shooting.

From all the posts so far in this thread I should be looking at these caliber's:

300 win mag - Yes comes in savage 11/111 LRH
300 wsm - Yes comes in savage 11/111 LRH
7mm wsm - No does not come in savage 11/111 LRH
6.5x284 - Yes comes in savage 11/111 LRH

For what I am wanting to do:
1. Kill Paper targets out to a thousand yards (as i get more experienced be able to shoot 6in groups)
2. Kill Mule and Whitetail deer
3. Later in the year start learning handloading

Help me decide on which "one" of those four are my best choice.

PS.
Just thinking out loud: I like the Savage rifle and since I cant find a better rifle in my price range for the 7mm wsm that pretty much eliminates it from the group unless someone can link me to one just as good as the savage?
Old 12-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

Than the 300WSM will do all you need. Though I am going to direct you to the Mod12 VLP. It is the same price, but a little better set up. You get a true 26" barrel. I would take it to a gun smith and have a good break installed instead of the factory break. The LRH is a nice setup, but you will have a much better platform with the VLP. The laminated stock is very nice, the pillar bedding is solid. Plus it's stainless steel.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank
Than the 300WSM will do all you need. Though I am going to direct you to the Mod12 VLP. It is the same price, but a little better set up. You get a true 26" barrel. I would take it to a gun smith and have a good break installed instead of the factory break. The LRH is a nice setup, but you will have a much better platform with the VLP. The laminated stock is very nice, the pillar bedding is solid. Plus it's stainless steel.

Tank
X2 I just got my 300wsm savage model 12 goin and man is it sweet! True to savage style it shoots nice little three shot groups even with factory ammo, mine loves 150 grain winchester silvertips....one holed 3 shots at 300 yards yesterday...I will be reloadin for it but got 60 rounds of factory ammo for Christmas.....as for recoil....just some muzzle jump, shot 22 rounds zeroing the scope just the way I like it and no sore shoulder....love me some accutrigger too!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Silver Member

That and they are just down right perty rifles...
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Need some advice on a new rifle-forumrunner_20111230_130613.png  
Old 12-30-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post

Tank
What does that mean a "true 26in barrel"? Is the barrel on the 111LRH not really 26in because they are counting the length of the muzzle brake as the barrel?

Pillar bedding - Is that the same thing as the Accu-stock?

Is there some type of modification that can be done to raise the cheek rest without making the stock look bad (IE strap-on devices)

The 12VLP is much sexier than the 111LRH...
Old 12-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6072mc View Post
What does that mean a "true 26in barrel"? Is the barrel on the 111LRH not really 26in because they are counting the length of the muzzle brake as the barrel?The barrel is really about 24.5" and the break gives it the full length from my understanding.

Pillar bedding - Is that the same thing as the Accu-stock?Pillar bedding are steel or aluminum sleeves inserted in the stock so the action rests on the pillars instead of the wood. Though laminate wood won't move as much as a walnut stock due to temp and humidity, it will still move. The pillars eliminate the need for getting the action bedded in epoxy, though some still do.

Is there some type of modification that can be done to raise the cheek rest without making the stock look bad (IE strap-on devices) Yes, they do have tie on cheek rests. Look at Black Hawks shooting supplies. Blackhawk Hawktex Tactical Cheek Pad (Adjustable) [90CP01BK] - $29.95 : US Armorment, The Art & Science of Shooting. Shop For Shooting Supplies, Ammunition, Rifle Scopes, Gun Parts & Accessories

Classic Lace-On Rifle Cheek Rest [90CP00BK] - $20.95 : US Armorment, The Art & Science of Shooting. Shop For Shooting Supplies, Ammunition, Rifle Scopes, Gun Parts & Accessories

Kydex Adjustable Cheek Rest, The Original : US Armorment, The Art & Science of Shooting. Shop For Shooting Supplies, Ammunition, Rifle Scopes, Gun Parts & Accessories This one you will have to drill holes in your stock, but installation took me all of about 5mins with a hand drill.

The 12VLP is much sexier than the 111LRH...
Read answers that are bold and italisized.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

The cheek really doesn't need raised for me anyway....I love the way it shoots and fits..