Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Need Scope Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 09:27 PM

Need Scope Advice

Ok Ive been hunting for quite some time (27yrs+or-) but mostly bow hunting for the last 10.

Bought a Remingon 700 in .300 WSM and want to set it up for semi-long range. Thinking about buying Leupold VX-3 LR 30mm 4.5x14x50 Boone and Crockett reticle and M1 Turrets installed to top it in classifieds here on Long Range Hunting.

My questions are.

1. What is the benefit of having a BDC reticle AND M1 Turrets?
2. How would the M1 Turrets come into play? Would they be dialed in on the main crosshair if you wanted to exceed 500 yds or whatever the Leupold B&C reticle goes to?
3. Is this the right scope for the gun or am I going to cheap.? Budget is $1k or less.

Advice and lessons appreciated.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: Need Scope Advice

Due to some bad luckin the past with Luepold I am not a follower of their scopes. I had some VXIII's that left a bad taste in my mouth. For as much as they cost that shouldn't happen.

My recomendation is learn how to use MOA and click to what your shooting. It is much more accurate then a holdover reticle.

For the money Sightron scopes just can't be beat in my opinion. Any long range rifle I have or build will be topped with an SIII Sightron from now on. Glass is beautiful and the tracking is dead nuts on.

Don't hesistate to look at sightron they won't disapoint ya.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:57 AM

Any other opinions/answers?
Old 01-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Gold Member

KC, I have that same scope with a 40 objective and really like it. The B&C reticle lines up very well with this caliber. I site in at 200 yds with a 300 WM and it's dead on out to 500 yds. I've shot it a lot this way and it works very well. I still just use the capped turrets for long range work but have been thinking about changing the elevation knob to one of the tactical knobs. My rifle is fairly light for packing and I really only like shooting it 700-800 tops and this scope does pretty well at that range. It doesn't always return to zero though and before a hunting trip requires a trip to the range to make sure it is zeroed back at 200. Other than that it does pretty well and I like it.

Having said all of that, I agree with what Judd said. I have a Sightron SIII on a 300 RUM and I think it does everything better than the VX-3. The glass is at least as good and probably a tad better. The accuracy of the turret adjustments are far superior and don't miss a beat. It always returns to zero. Right now, I'm looking at buying more SIII's in the near future but not going to replace the VX-3 as it still does pretty well.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

Moman, when you say you have that same scope, is it a new vx-3 LR? and it doesn't always return to zero?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

I too would stray away from Leupold right now. I've had dozens and even the mark 4's had trouble. (I still use a few though)
I had a Mark 4 16x go back to the shop twice, first time the crosshairs were lying on the bottom and the second time the whole reticle shifted to about a 1:00 position. Having said that I think you could find a better deal here or swfa/Ebay...

I agree with Judd as for beginners I'd use the moa method and not worry about the hold over, you'll just confuse yourself and it's not worth it. You could do just fine with a target dot or standard duplex. Then you could move on.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

I have a older, 02 vr 3,tact. no problems. I was crossing a slide chute, swing from tree branches like Tarzan, and my rifle slipped off, and cart wheeled down a cliff. I did not expect to see glass in my scope, that took 1/2 hr. to recover, was ok held zero.Have a B&C model also, easier for my son to use, I dial off last hash, for 600 + SHOTS