Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Need Opinion on 7mm stw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitsitter View Post
According to the guy it's been shot less than 15 times.

Does he mean fifteen before AND after it was rechambered? If so, it is a very good deal!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Silver Member

All together..
Old 03-21-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitsitter View Post
I found a remington 700 7mm stw in a local paper for sale for $650. I called the guy. He said the gun was a regular 700 bdl that had been rechambered. He had all the basics done to it( floated, recrowned, bedded, bolt squared, trigger work, etc.) The gun has the remington syn. stock that has been painted along with theh rings and bases. He said a gunsmith in Texas I believe triple G or something G had done all the gun work. Here's the problem It's a 2 1/2 hour drive to see the gun. I want a 7mm stw but I don't know about this caliber in a regular remington barrel and stock. I really would like to shoot it before I bought it. I hate to get a gun that won't do like i want it to. What you guys think.
I would approach this as a used car purchase, rifles don't have odometers. Dude had all this work done and only fired a total of 15 shots??? Yeah and Granny only drove the Corvette with bald back
tires to church and back.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Silver Member

say he has 5 of them he built this one for his grandson. grandson shot it and it busted his eye..last time he shot it.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

My brother has a 7mm STW, it is a tac-driving - bug-hole making - straight shooting rifle. His is an Ackley Improved version of the STW and it is a very flat shooting rifle.
My brother is as ainul as they come when it comes to barrel care for his rifle. Every 3 rds at the range and he stops and cleans the bore.
My brother's favorite load (and yes he is a high velocity nut) is 140 Nosler BT @ 3500 fps. He likes the fact that he is only 20" low at 600 yds with a 300 yd zero.
The point being, if the rifle is properly cared for it will go much longer than if the barrel is not cleaned regularly.
You have to determine if the seller is shinning you, or telling you the turth.
On other thing regarding remingtons, I know that synthetic stocks (not the injection molded tupperware stocks) are the rage here on this web site. But do not be afraid of a pillar bedded laminated stock that came with the M700 LSS rifles. Those stocks are very well known for thier stability. I took 000 steel wool to mine, turning the finish into a matte, droped a blued matte finished barreled action in it and it looks really nice.
Bottom line, if you are looking for an STW, I would avod going cheap, go find a skilled riflesmith, have the action blueprinted, for real, order a barrel of your liking, have it properly put together, and never look back saying I wish would have...
Good luck and let us know what you do in the end.
Don

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 04-22-2008, 04:46 PM

I have a Winchester Model 70 with 26" barrell, 6.5-18 bushnell, simms recoil pad and butler creek sling I want to sell.Trigger has been worked on at gunsmith to lighten it up. Shoots great! Also have dies, bullets and brass for it. Call for details 218-252 4013
Old 04-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Summit

The only way I would even consider this deal would be to shoot
it .Let me explain.

The standard remingtion 700 stock is to small to rebarrel with
anything larger than a #4 taper with out removing to much from
the fore end.

The Second thing is, no one rechambers a rifle with out 15 or
20 rounds through it ( It takes at least that many to see if it
will shoot worth a crap.

The STW is an intense round and needs a heavy barrel at least 26"
long to meet there potential.

I would recomend at least a 5.5 taper or heaver.

So if it doesent shoot you would probably need a bigger stock and a
new barrel and this would drive the price way up.

So shoot it and if it doesent do well then look for a sendero or a donor
rifle and biuld your own.(you can buy a brand new rem SPS for about
$400.00 and use that $250.00 towards a good stock and barrel.

Just my opinion
J E CUSTOM