Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Need Opinion on 7mm stw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

Need Opinion on 7mm stw

I found a remington 700 7mm stw in a local paper for sale for $650. I called the guy. He said the gun was a regular 700 bdl that had been rechambered. He had all the basics done to it( floated, recrowned, bedded, bolt squared, trigger work, etc.) The gun has the remington syn. stock that has been painted along with theh rings and bases. He said a gunsmith in Texas I believe triple G or something G had done all the gun work. Here's the problem It's a 2 1/2 hour drive to see the gun. I want a 7mm stw but I don't know about this caliber in a regular remington barrel and stock. I really would like to shoot it before I bought it. I hate to get a gun that won't do like i want it to. What you guys think.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Skip it. It'll probably need a new stock, and most likely a new barrel. Keep looking, you can do better. A near-new Sendero would be good, but very hard to find.

A custom build from one of our riflesmiths would be best.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Bronze Member

It'll probably need a new stock - why would you say that? You apparently don't know much about an STW rechamber. That is all they are - a rebore. They are usually awesome for accuracy. I have a Model 70 Winchester because I hate Remingtons, but that isn't the point. This could be a diamond from what I have seen. Three rechambers I know (2 Win and 1 Rem) shoot 1/2 3-shot groups at 100 yards.

I say give it a try - good price and Senderos are not all that accurate.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

Remington synthetic stocks (except for the Senderos, which are H S Precision stocks) are "cheap as hell", and a quality long range rifle deserves a better made, more reliable stock.

With all the stuff done to that rifle, it probably has been shot a bit. The 7 STW being the barrel eater that it is, and with no evidence to the contrary, that barrel's best days are more than likely behind it.

Last edited by LewisH; 03-17-2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 03-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Silver Member

ss,
call the guy back and ask for pictures,many mags are safe-queens.
i agree with .30-378....... explain your concerns verbaly to the owner.
regards
Old 03-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Silver Member

After seeing pics and getting some questions answered, I believe I might jump all over it if it appears to be in good condition. If you start from scratch, you will have around that much $$ in a factory action by the time it is trued up or for sure that much in a higher end action. You could play with it for a while and if you want to do some upgrades, you could have a good project gun. Eventually buy a stock, then later down the road, rebarrel it with what contour and twist you want.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisH View Post
Remington synthetic stocks (except for the Senderos, which are H S Precision stocks) are "cheap as hell", and a quality long range rifle deserves a better made, more reliable stock.

With all the stuff done to that rifle, it probably has been shot a bit. The 7 STW being the barrel eater that it is, and with no evidence to the contrary, that barrel's best days are more than likely behind it.

According to the guy it's been shot less than 15 times.