Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Need Lightweight Recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Need Lightweight Recommendation

I looked at the Savage 6.5x284, but with that fluted long barrel it was just too end heavy for me. Sweet gun though...
I had looked at Savages when buying my daughter's Tikka, but they just didn't feel right to me. But I did not handle a lightweight model. I surely do appreciate everyone's input as my dear husband is not a rifle guy - he just is a shoo-gun fellow and could care less about what caliber rifle I should buy!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaCam View Post
I looked at the Savage 6.5x284, but with that fluted long barrel it was just too end heavy for me. Sweet gun though...
I had looked at Savages when buying my daughter's Tikka, but they just didn't feel right to me. But I did not handle a lightweight model. I surely do appreciate everyone's input as my dear husband is not a rifle guy - he just is a shoo-gun fellow and could care less about what caliber rifle I should buy!
Your family makes me jealous. My wife questions every purchase when it comes to my shooting habit!
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Bronze Member

He is a keeper (32 years +), but it has it downsides too! As in have you ever tried to get help at a gun counter when you are a silver haired woman all alone??? They just look at you real funny and don't quite know what to do! But I have to work hard to justify purchases (as in hide them) as well! He must love me - he gave me a RCBS reloading kit for Christmas.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Bronze Member

That Savage 11 lightweight hunter looks pretty good...now, hmmm, .260, 6.5x284 or 6.5 Creedmoor??? And gotta find a really good price too. .260 weighs only 5.5 lbs!
Old 03-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaCam View Post
That Savage 11 lightweight hunter looks pretty good...now, hmmm, .260, 6.5x284 or 6.5 Creedmoor??? And gotta find a really good price too. .260 weighs only 5.5 lbs!
I would start with Lapua brass. So, 6.5 Creedmore is out.

The 6.5x284 normally has a slight edge ballistically. But, that will be marginal at best unless you have a longer barrel.

I would go with the 260 and not even blink.

-- richard
Old 03-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks, Richard. I kind of get the feeling you like the .260. I think I do too since it is a short action. I really appreciate your willingness to share your opinion. Now, just gotta make some room in the gun cabinet, which is always painful!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Bronze Member

I hunt with a Savage 116 in 7mm rem mag and I really like it. It's pretty much the same as the 110 but in stainless steel. It has the accu-trigger, but not the accu-stock. Got a pretty good price while it was on sale at a large Sporting goods store. If you just don't like the looks or feel of the Savages, you might not like it, but for the price it's tough to beat. Mine came with a Simmons scope that held zero and had pretty clear glass. I ended up replacing the scope and mounts for higher quality glass and Talley mounts, but it wasn't really necessary.