Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Need Input on Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 PM

Re: Need Input on Build

Thanks again for the info, tank! The site you listed for barrels (sin-arms.com) only showed stuff for savages. Do you know of another good site for barrels? I found on stockysstocks, that bell & carlson makes a detachable box mag conversion kit for $240. Do you know of a cheaper option?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhharmon View Post
Thanks again for the info, tank! The site you listed for barrels (sin-arms.com) only showed stuff for savages. Do you know of another good site for barrels? I found on stockysstocks, that bell & carlson makes a detachable box mag conversion kit for $240. Do you know of a cheaper option?
I can't really help you with the Remington set ups. I just build Savages. Midway USA carries barrels for Remington's. They sell Brux, Shilen, E.R. Shaw, and one other, but can't think of it just now. There are some other sites. Hopefully a Remmy fan can chime in.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

If you don't see what you want on Midway, you can order pre-chambered Rem 700 barrels from Shilen.

Of course, the barrel nut design of the Savages makes it easy for individuals to set their headspace. Whereas, a Rem 700 usually requires either a lathe and/or a finish reamer to get headspace setup unless ...you're just feeling lucky.

-- richard
Old 04-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Bronze Member

Hello,

Thats funny you should mention that build because i am doing the exact build right now on my remington 30-06 BDL. I am converting it to a .308 win on a LA with a H-S Precision stock with a mercury recoil reducer in it along with a #7 PAC-NOR supermatch fluted barrel 1:10 twist 22" and a trigger job on the factory trigger. I went round and round (no pun intended) with either sticking with a 30-06 which is a great round or converting it to a 308 which is also a great round. I went with the 308 because it will be less expensive to shoot and I found way more load data for it compared to the 30-06. I looked into converting the BDL to DBM and the only thing that will work I think is going with the BDM from H-S precision in 30-06. I have tried a 308 case in a 300 win mag magazine and it was to loose. I could bend the ears a little on the mag but not sure it would fix it. I also replace the stock lug with a David Tubbs recoil lug and going to bed the stock. Any ways have fun with the your project
Old 04-13-2012, 10:40 PM

Ok guys, I may be changing directions here. I am considering selling the Remington and buying a Savage 12 FVSS in 308, and then just getting a better stock for it. The price from the gunsmiths on all the labor is much higher than I expected. Can anyone give any input on the 12 FVSS? Thanks again for all of the input.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:36 PM

I agree with the others that recommended staying with the .30-06 chambering you have. You may be better off spending your money on ammo and practice until you are convinced that the rifle is limiting the combined performance of you and the rifle. Later, if you begin reloading, consider having your rifle rechambered to .30-06 Ackley Improved. You will get a bit more muzzle velocity without a lot more powder. That's my $.02.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

Criterion barrels, buttoned rifled Kriegers, now sell pre chambered and threaded barrels through northland shooters supply. Northland also sales a savage style barrel nut so you can do your own head spacing just like savage owners do and not have to pay a gunsmith. I suggest calling Jim at 763/682-4296 and asking about his Remington barrels. I also suggest getting a bell and Carlson m40 medalist stock for the new build, I love mine. Barrel-320 with shipping and nut. Stock 230 with shipping, take this to a gunsmith and have him put it together and skim bed it and you will have a tack driver for less than 700 including gun smith fees.