Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

need help w/poor grouping- Savage model 11 Long Range Hunter 308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: need help w/poor grouping- Savage model 11 Long Range Hunter 308

My Savage 110 hated the high dollar ammo, but would shoot bugholes with Federal Fusion.

And, I've seen rifles (and a pistol or two) shoot vastly different groups with different brands of ammo. I know from experience that it's not much fun to buy a few different brands of ammo and try them when you're only going to use 5 rounds in a box of 20, but such is life.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Had a Savage 243 barrel that wasnt shooting up to snuff.Found out why when I went to swap barrels=The base screws where a little too long and hitting the barrel. Grinding a little off the screw fixed the barrel problem
Old 03-25-2011, 05:22 PM

I was having a big problem with my savage 111 fcns which is similar to the long range hunter. It would group 2-4 inch groups @ 100 yards. I was really disappointed but I was reading in the manual and it said the action screws needed to be tightened to 40 lbs per inch I did that it fixed the problem. Another thing that affects accuracy in mine is the magazine, it needs to be in the gun to get the best results which really surprised me. I guess it has to do with how it recoils. Anyway I hope this helps, it is always good to go with the simple solutions first I think.

Huntmac
Old 03-26-2011, 05:31 AM

Here's where I'm at with this issue;
1. I checked the torque on the action holdowns & they were at 40.
2. I was somewhat concerned about tight spot between forend and barrel so
removed stock & sanded away 2 potential touch points & reassembled using
correct sequence & torque.
3. I put a box of Hornady 168 grain Superformance thru the rifle (only heavier load I could find locally). My first group was outstanding w/ 3 in the bull inside a hole the size of a ragged nickel. After that the groups began to scatter( no stringing) into groups with most 3 shot groups having 2 close and one randomly scattered.

I'm trying to locate an affordable box of Fed GMM 168 or 175 to shoot asap.After I see what happens there I am prepared to pull the scope of & see what things look like w/ the scope off the 22-250.

I did feel like I had to really watch my cheek weld and concentrate really hard on having my sight picture super focused to get a couple shots tight together & that if I lost the slightest concentration at all while breaking the trigger I would wind up 4" off. It seemed so much more critical than with any other firearm I've ever shot. Consequently I'm wondering about how I have the adjustable cheek piece and scope adjustment for eye relief set. I pretty much set the scope so I had maximum eye relief when holding up the rifle free hand and I did not change the cheek piece adjustment after taking the rifle out of the box because I was not sure what sort of conformation is considered to be optimal. Any way the result is that I often feel like it's difficult to establish the correct sight picture and proper rifle position.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:52 AM
Gold Member

here is a good article . Jim

Fitting The Long Range Rifle
Old 03-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Platinum Member

Here is a video that gave me some better understanding of how to set up a scope on the rifle and setting your cheek piece height.

YouTube - Set up Your Scope for Success - Rifle Shooting Technique - NSSF Shooting Sportscast

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:26 PM

Wow, very helpful, explains a lot and almost makes me glad that I've had a problem that made me realize I didn't know this stuff and that I really needed to! -Andy