Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Need help narrowing choices down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2006, 03:32 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Need help narrowing choices down

Kbb468,

The thing to remember is that as you increase in bullet diameter, you will generally have to increase bullet weight to keep with a standard of ballistic performance.

Yes, the larger bullet diameters will have more visual effect when they land on target, but again, only if they are placed in the correct place. A gut shot deer is a gut shot deer weither your shooting a 243 or a 408 CT, makes no difference, you will more then likely loose the animal unless you have good tracking conditions.

The 7mm rounds are a good balance of energy, penetration, ballistic performance and ease of shooting. Rounds such as the 7mm WSM are great for long range shooting on deer size game and even elk with proper shot placement.

At the expense of sounding boring, there is nothing wrong with the old 7mm Rem Mag either. More performance then the 7mm WSM and nearly as popular as the 270 and 30-06. Just not SEXY!!

If you want bang flops, use a quality bullet in an accurate rifle and put the bullet where it needs to go for a one shot kill. The rest is mearly details but that is also the fun part!!

Hell, if everyone only had one rifle, I would be stocking shelves at Walmart instead of building rifles!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

I was always prone to take my 243 when hunting deer out of state. perfect blend of terminal bullistics and recoil. I would almost consider a 308 overkill on all but the big northern deer. I concur with the other esteemed gentleman that placement is everything. A hunting weight rifle in a big magnum caliber can develop a flinch. I know quite a few farmers that have 1 shot killed plenty of deer with a 22-250 or even more prevalent, the 30-30. I have a savage model 10FP with a 20" barrel and the accutrigger system. After sighting in- the first bipod and sandbag group to come out of the barrel was 5 rounds .462 center to center. The recoil is pretty brutal in a 308 this size, and they make them in 300 WM! I affixed a Gemtech Bi-Lock and TPR-S silencer to help with recoil. A brake would darn near deafen a hunter unless you take time to put ears on. I highly recommend the savage for cost/quality ratio. Accuracy is their main goal.

Savage 308
My Fav hunting Rifle [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
300 Whisper
My quiet Hunting rifle {notice the projectile size} [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
AR30 338LM
Serious BANG, Serious FLOP. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 02-17-2006, 03:09 AM
Gold Member

300 rum
Old 02-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
shot placement that makes bang flop. I have a 300win wich I'm starting to think is shot out. Used it for varmits [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Screech,thats the bang vaporize,not the bang flop. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2006, 08:45 AM

kbb468,
Savage rifles are all I own and all are very accurate. I recommend the 300 Win mag. My buddy who is also a Savage fan recently bought a Stevens by Savage in 300 Win mag. He took it to Williams Gun Sight Co. in Davison,MI and had them put on their own muzzle break. It cost him $179.00. He shoots it at the range with only a T-shirt on. He also shot two caribou with it. One went bang flop and the other stumbled his body length and then flopped.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:57 AM

kbb468,
Go to buy, sell trade ect. section. Look under guns for sale. This might be what your looking for! I'm thinking about it myself but will wait for you to decide first. Let me know what your going to do.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Bronze Member

cjp45
Can you post the link to the post you mention "guns for sale"? I don't seem to be able to find what you are talking about.

I noticed you signature and I have a 12FVSS in 223 with a swift scope. Great combination!

Deciding on the next rifle is dificult when you realize the possible combinations of barrels, barrel length, calibers, and stocks. Because I do plan on reloading I have been kind of turned away from the belted magnum cases somewhat from what i've read on this site. Meaning the members who seem to be having some type of problems with belted case and not with non-belted cases. But yet I am still considering one. I have now been thinking of the 300 WSM and the 7mm based on what fiftydriver posted. Does Savage make a heavy 26" barrel 7MM and if so where would I get and after market stock?

Thanks for all the replys.