Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Need help doing my Homework

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Need help doing my Homework

ElwoodB quotes Bart Simpson: [ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> the .308 was the clear-cut most accurate of the two </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the .308 has a slight inherent accuracy potential over the '06, but much of the quoted data is more due to the well established BR heard mentality.

3sixbits writes:
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> 06 -&gt; .308 -&gt; 5.56 -&gt; PPC : Silhouette shooters don't use the PPC </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can say <font color="purple"> <u> Kick Ass </u> </font>
That's the best retort I've read all month.

For Montana elk sized elk, the '06 is a proven killer. No one bothered to ask robins his budget. My dad bought me (and my brother) bran new model 670 Win '06's (in 1978) for $100 each. They aren't that much more now.
On a budget, get a used one, shoot/reload often and save a few bucks for a new tube/trigger job. Reloading dies are dirt cheap on eBay.
I like my RUMS &amp; WinMag, but there will always be an '06 at my cabin.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Gold Member

As much as I hate to interrupt the 30-06athon, you might consider the 280Remington, especially if you reload.
Its got the shoulder moved a bit further forward than the 30-06, and gets essentially the same velocity with the same weight bullets, but those bullets will almost always have higher ballistic coefficents (in this case yielding less wind drift, and flatter trajectory)and will have higher Sectional Density (improving penetration for bullets with like construction). If you are buying an off the shelf rifle, the 280 would be a great choice. Even better would be to have your gunsmith ream it out to 280Ackley after you buy it. You can use that same brass, and same factory loads, and on reloading you will gain about 100-150fps.

A 280Ackley throwing 140grAccubonds for little"deer" and 160s for big "deer" would make a sweet shooting deer rifle that would let you get out there a long way. Lots of good 7mm match bullets that this combo would do well with for those really long shots when you are ready for them.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:07 AM
Gold Member

Deersized game refers to an average white tail and smaller ( or a Red Stag) .. Mulies in thier bigger range areas warrant more thought. IMHO.
Pete
Old 04-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

Sorry that it has taken me this long to get back to you all and thanks for helping me.
Deersize my fault.. white tail and then also good size elk would be the main use for the rifle.
I've always leaned alittle towards the 06 since it is proven, but i am up for any other suggestion.
A round that a friend suggested to me was the 300 win or win mag. How do they shoot?
I dont hand load yet pretty tight buget, however i will probably put down $500 for the new rifle. My main rifle right know is a accu trigger equiped savage and i have had real good luck with it. However i have also been looking at a remingtons.
Do any of you know where i could find a chart or something with good data that i could compare catriges to another?
Thanks