Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Need help deciding on a cal or rifle for first build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need help deciding on a cal or rifle for first build

it is not the action . it is the barrel . national champions use the model 70 and model 700 among others.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM

Good. I was thinking of getting the action trued and adding a stock. What barrel would you suggest? Or would a 300 rum be better to start with. Would the 7mm rem mag have enough energy at say 1000 yards for deer and hogs with a 168 grain berger hybrid?
Old 06-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

going to need to reload ibelieve.pm sent
Old 06-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

i like heavier . if 11 is good 14 is better and 18 is best . took the sendeo bighorn hunting. i like a 7mag or 300win. the rum is more than i need.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Thats kinda where i am. I know i dont need a 300 rum but i dont want to have any worry about having enough gun if the buck of a lifetime steps out at 1000 yards. I have access to everything i need to reload for my 7 mag exept bullets and powder.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

I don't think your limitation is your action. Your limitations are that you are shooting factory ammo through factory barrels. Before you go dumping a lot of money into a custom rifle, you really should start handloading.

My advice is to get a good single stage press, a good beam scale, a basic lathe style case trimmer, three or four reloading manuals, and dies for both rifles. Be selective about your reloading components and buy them in quantities you can afford when they are available.

Glass bed your rifles in their respective stocks, making sure to free float the barrels, and put decent glass on them with plenty of internal adjustment. Once you have developed good loads for your rifles, shoot them until you have worn out the factory barrels.

When it's time to hang new barrels on them, then decide if you want to go with a different chambering. By that time, you should have the skill to exploit the accuracy of a custom barrel and increased ballistic potential from going with something more powerful.

You can focus on pouring money into a custom rifle if you want to, and there is nothing wrong with that if that is truly what you want, or you can focus on improving the nut behind the trigger. I believe that putting your time and money into honing your skills as a rifleman and handloader will pay bigger dividends in the long run.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:46 AM

I plan on starting reloading soon for the 7mm. The wsm was a gift from my grandfather before he died so it will stay factory as long as i have it. Where can i find instructions on bedding a stock? I know how to free float th barrel but no clue on how to bed it.