Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Need Help for Baby Bro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need Help for Baby Bro

If there is a 22 RF lying around the house that would be a good choice to practice with. I do not care how bad it shoots and I do not care if it has iron sights or optics. The objective is to practice good mechanics and develop good habits and cure bad habits. He should be shooting form a bench and really concentrate on getting the best possible accuracy from the rifle. To break up the monotony and boredom he can do some tincan shooting and goofing around as long as he picks up his trash after he is done. Shooting 100yards or further at small targets with a 22RF can be fun and reinforce the idea that the mechanics must be prefect.

I taught my kids shooting mechanics with a pellet gun. Even at just 30 feet it challenged them.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:04 PM

Have a muzzle brake put on.You might loose little accurcy but not enough to miss game with.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

at 15 i was shootin a savage 7 mag. i always had a craving for larger than needed though.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

the 7mm-08 is the way to go. having shot many 12s and 20s the 7-08 is far less brutal. as far as the flinching, most rifles are able to have the triggers adjusted perty light out of the box. itll go off before he can flinch. thats how i had to handle my huntin guns. 2 to 3 lb pull max for me. hope this helps. jason
Old 12-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo324 View Post
Have a muzzle brake put on.You might loose little accurcy but not enough to miss game with.
A properly installed muzzle brake should not affect accuracy. You may have to switch to a different load, but exceptional accuracy can still be achieved with a brake attached. The added muzzle blast may be a problem for a novice shooter though.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Bronze Member

Put a couple spent cartridges in the mag at random with live rounds. This will show him how bad of a flinching problem he has. Usually this is enough for a person to concentrate on the basic mechanics of shooting. I used this method long ago, when starting to shoot high power rifles. I was taught to shoot with a 20 ga. using high brass 4 shot. Dad would never consider shooting a shot gun with anything less than 5 shot hi-power shells.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Silver Member

I am curious if he may have already developed a finch because when he was about 10 he was pretty good with a 22 when it came to plinking varments, now though when i went home this summer and we ran around he was sucken pretty bad. (might have been the rifle zero though) I think he is out of pratice and shot to much with 12 or 20g and developed a flinch.

I think i will look at a 7mm08 probably see if i can get one in savage with an accutrigger for him since that is what i have always had....unless you guys want to proswade me other wise.

(Sorry about my spelling)

He may end up working for the ranch, that i worked for when i was a kid this summer. Pest control was a normal slow day job there. That will help his shooting out.

Rob