Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Need good suggestions/ reccomendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2003, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Need good suggestions/ reccomendation

Hey guys. I have been working up loads in my .243 with the 2 types of 55g B-tips, the regular ones and the Combined Technology versions. They are giving me 1 inch groups at 100 yards and some pretty good velocities out of a 22" barrel, but I'm always getting 2 shots touching or virtually in the same hole with a flyer that opens the group up to 1 inch. It happens with every load, every time, no matter what. Maybe its the bedding, or I need to have it recrowned, lap the lugs, any suggestions? I am willing to send it off anywhere to a good gunsmith to get it worked on or accurized. I want it to produce consistent 1/2" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I want to be able to consistently hit coyotes up to 600 yards, and 1 inch groups at 100 yards just dont cut it for me. I want 1/2 inch or better for that distance on that size of animal. Thanks for any suggestions or reccomendations
Old 08-24-2003, 06:21 PM
Gold Member

Re: Need good suggestions/ reccomendation

Could be a couple of things. First- is the flyer always on the third shot?
Second- is your POA same as POI? A lot of shooters that use the same POI/POA see a good one hole group forming and choke on the last shot. Try shooting benchrest style with your POA above or below the POI so you don't "muddy" up your POA losing target resolution and/or "choking" on the last shot.
Stress in the barrel is a possibility- walking the third shot.
Shifting in the stock is a big possibility. What stock do you have?
I do an accuracy job that would most likely solve your problem but we need to investigate a little more first.
Chris Matthews
GA Precision
Old 08-24-2003, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

chris

The flyer is not always on the 3rd shot. Sometimes it will be the 1st shot and sometimes it will be the 3rd shot. The aiming point is not the same as bullet impact. I did properly break in the barrel to the best of my knowledge that I got from others. The rifle is a Rem 700 ADL Synthetic stock. Just a cheap one. But if it will always put 2 shots touching I dont see why its having such a tuff time putting just 1 more in there. Thats whats making me mad. This is the worst gun I have ever worked with that gives flyers. I have shot B-tips and Sierra Boat tails which both are proven to be very accurate, which they are but only 2 shots. I have a pretty good loading technique. I prep all my brass, individually weigh each charge. I have easily gotten 1/2" 3 shot groups with all my other guns and it would do it with a lot more consistency than this .243 is doing. Is there anything I could try or do to help? If not, I would be willing to send my gun to you so you can figure it out. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

'06,
You might want to re-think shooting 55 grain .243 bullets out anywhere near 600 yards - wind and retained energy will be big considerations. Short, fat bullets are not efficient, as I'm sure you already know. We had over ten feet of drift at 700 with 125 gr. .30's yesterday in a stout wind, that is about 1/3 more than the 168's.
Coyotes can be tough critters,. I would be using something around 85 gr. or higher to buck some wind and retain some smack.
I know, 55's theoretically don't leave a hole in the pelt, but that sometimes doesn't always work out as planned. I see 55's in a .243 as hellashis gopher killers or relatively close range coyote medicine, real close they can be nasty. I have shot some factory .243 55 grain loads from Black Hills Ammo that was very accurate and consistent, but we used it on gophers.
I know serious coyote hunters who have gone to 77's and 80's in their hot .22 centerfires for long shooting.

Might also be that your barrel won't shoot 55's into a half inch, regardless of what a gun-wizard like Chris does to it. If you are going to get some work on it, Chris at GA would be good (that will be five bucks, Chris [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 08-25-2003, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

Rem 25-06

The 55 gr pills have about nothing for downrange BC.
If your talking 600 yards thats a PD bullet, maybe?
That is, "If" you can get the bullet there with zero wind.

Try the Speer 85 gr BT which has a BC of .404 or the 87gr Hornady BT which has a BC of .376
Both are much better then the 55 gr and should work better in your 10 twist factory barrel.

Check your scope and make sure to tighten the base and rings up.
If you have a Redfield dovetail mount system, take it off, throw it away and put a Weaver style base and rings set up on the rifle.

I have a 10 twist 6mm Remington Factory rifle (10 twist) that will give great groups all day with the 87 Gr Hornady.

Just my 2 cents

Later
DC
Old 08-25-2003, 08:09 AM
Silver Member

Rem,

I would go with either the 87gr A-max or even the 105 A-max's if you have a 9 twist.. I have a factory Ruger M77 Mark II Target with a 9 twist that I can stick 5shot groups in a clover leaf all day long with the 105 and 87gr A-max's.

For the 55gr bullet to 650 yd your only lookin @ around 350fpe left if MV is 3800. Which i think is not enough for yotes ghogs prolly wouldnt be a problem.. From what I understand Don from GrooveBullets is pushin a 52gr in 22 CHeetah Mark 1 @ 4200fps and he is deadly with chucks @ 650yds and I belive Boyd can verify that.. Don also claims he has shot in 20MPH wind to 600yds without any problems with his CHeetah..

6.5 Bandit
Old 08-25-2003, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Darryl,
Tell the young fella what you REALLY think about Redfield style scope mounts [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
I totally agree, sure nice to see someone else with that opinion.
Even funnier is the belief that dual dovetails are a better solution - two dovetails to work loose, two tiny bits of metal holding the rings on (that will bend sideways), plus you lose the windage adjustment capability. Nice mounts if you baby them tho.
Do you feel some discension coming our way [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]