Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

need EVERYone's advice on gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-05-2005, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Ric, fiftydriver, trader388,and others,...

Okay everybody.... Group Hug

Now back on track..

Did 270izzy get his answers??

Unread 03-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Re: Ric, fiftydriver, trader388,and others,...

Hostile.... that wasn't hostile compare to some stuff here...

the way I read it you are on your third barrel.. that in itself make a little bit more sense.... but your group is nothing short of remarkable for any rifle... just hard to swallow in a forum like this from a factory stick.. not saying it isn't possible... just hard to swallow...

you load is almost right ( 73.0 grs of H1000 and a 220 )

hey maybe you do have the mother of all factory sticks

to answer the original question...

sorry to be a buzz kill...

the 308 is just what I feel the all around best caliber to learn on...

I hunted with a gunsmith this past season for LR antelope he killed a B&C (83.5") buck.. at a very long way away.. wanna know what he used....
Unread 03-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Go buy the Savage LE with the McMillan A5 stock (around $750) in 308. then buy a good ranging reticle scope, IOR with MP8 reticle for example (Schotts/Zeiss glass and 1/10 mil ranging capability). With 175s should be able to go little over 1000, plus simple switch barrel change later to larger calibers when you are ready.

Find a local club that shoots F class and spend some time pulling the trigger. Most will run classes on reading the wind etc and you will learn more from that. Go to Longrange target shooting website and look at their list of clubs near you.

You can buy quality loaded match rounds and easy to reload for 308. You cannot buy quality match rounds with 270, 260 or 7-08. You can reload them but not buy them.

As for the super dooper high speed UBBT RBBT rounds coming out. More letters in name and supposed high BC does not make a match round no matter how many times it is posted on the intenet. Right now they only place they are winning anything is on the internet. When they start showing up at matches and winning, THEN we can consider them match quality. Until then good idea that is developing but is not match proven. I would not build anything for them especially for an inexperienced reloader.

As for most factory guns having to be exceptional to go 1.5 MOA, sporter yes, heavy barrel not really.

Most of the 1k BR clubs have a Factory class (unofficial) that normally allows factory guns with bedding, trigger jobs, muzzle brakes, factory barrel and chamber and that is it. Most will be under 1.5 MOA and normally around 1 MOA and some under .5 MAO with 5 shots at 1000.

Unread 03-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Re: 270

For $750 you could setup a nice reloading bench and load a pile of rounds for you 270. What advantage does the 308 have over the 270 for someone learning LRH out to 500 yards?
Unread 03-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Bronze Member

Just a thought, but I would wear out the .270 first before you worry about the perfect gun. Besides, what's wrong with a .270? Mine will put four out of five brands of factory ammo in a group that a nickle can cover and 150 gr. Federal Partions go in the same hole! My buddies rifle is identical to mine and shoots aspirins! We have both only had trigger jobs and carefully clean our barrels. Living in North Carolina, whitetails are my limit (if I lived out West I'd agree and start with a .30 caliber), but I have killed 4 whitetails on powerlines recently between 450 and 500 yards and none flinched. I would really like to build something more trick, but until this damn A-Bolt stops shooting like this it's hard to justify. I say shoot your rifle, get the trigger done, learn how to really clean the barrel and get a GOOD scope on it mounted properly. This will make you a marksman.
Best of Luck

Unread 03-09-2005, 03:10 AM

hey guys,

wow, i was actually striper fishing off the coast of north carolina this weekend with my dad, we caught the limit in 30 mins, 12 fish each weighing over 30lbs.

But u guys are pretty cool, and u know ur stuff it sounds like. Where my dad lives, Hyde County, NC, its all farmland and flat as a pancake. You could shoot mortars down there and no one would hear you.

Now, i really like the idea of shooting the 270 until i "max" it and me out. I also like the idea of getting a .308 but like Steve said, seems unjustified if i can really get the 270 (and me) up to snuff. One thing about this 270 that experienced shooters who have shot my rifle have told me, and something i felt in the shoulder, that this is one of the lightest guns they have ever shot. It really does feel pretty spry even with a scope mounted on it. The way i found this website was by actually doing google searches for "heavy barrels", "long range barrels" etc. so I want to heavy up the barrel or is there something else i should do?

Also, I need specifics on what kind of scope i should buy. I like the idea that getting a good scope will just transfer to any new guy i buy in the future God willing.

What do i need to do the trigger? Can i do this or do i need to take it to a gun smith?

Where do u guys recommend i go to get the reloading supplies?

Remember, cut down on the abbreviations unless u r going to define them first like scientific research papers [minute of angle (MOA)] Like that. i still don't know what BC means. I do know what BS means though.

I live in NC so maybe i can hookup with some NC mentors.

thanks again for ur help,
Unread 03-10-2005, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

What do i need to do the trigger? Can i do this or do i need to take it to a gun smith?

[/ QUOTE ]
Freebore lays it out nicely right here.

Also, I need specifics on what kind of scope i should buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you will get an opinion or two here but you can search for this and find that it gets asked about once a month. Tons of info if you look around.

BC means Ballistic Coefficient. It a number assigned to a bullets weight and shape to comunicate how areodinamic it is and how well it resists sideways drift. This number comes from a bullet the military made that was 1 inch caliber and one pound and had a nose that was twice as long as the caliber. This bullet has a 1.000 BC. Most bullets we shoot have a BC less than about .600 but some bullets, the Barnes 750 grain .50 caliber solids for example, have a BC over 1.000. This does not mean that they accelerate in flight and never drift sideways in the wind. I simply means that they fly better than the BC "standard".

Clear as mud? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
GRAVITY. It's not just a good idea. It's the LAW!