Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Need advise on Rings and Bases Please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Bronze Member

Need advise on Rings and Bases Please.

Hello,

I'm new to this long range shooting, I have a lot to learn and need to burn a lot of powder to get efficient.

I bought a 300 RUM in Model 700 Sendero, and yesterday I purchased a Zeiss 4.5-14x50. My question or better yet I need advise on which bases and rings to use? I would like to go with a Picatinney style base, and am I better off to go with a 20 MOA? And need advise on rings as well.

Thanks in Advance

Scratch
www.skymountainoutfitters.com
Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 AM

Re: Need advise on Rings and Bases Please.

You only need a 20moa base for extended distances. Figure out how far you want to shoot, then check a ballistic chart. It will give you a ROUGH idea of how much drop you'll need to deal with. Don't count on the chart to be completely accurate. From that, you should be able to roughly figure out if you need the 20moa base or not.

Or, just tell us your load and distance. Somebody more familiar with it will be able to help you out. Lots of good rings out there. Pick some with good reviews that look like they are good quality.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

Unless you are seriously planning to shoot beyond 1000yds you don't need anything more than 0 MOA base.

Hard to beat the EGW HD rail and they are very affordably priced.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Unless you are seriously planning to shoot beyond 1000yds you don't need anything more than 0 MOA base...

^^^This. You didn't say whether or not your Zeiss has target turrets. If you aren't cranking knobs, you won't have a need for a canted base. I'm not a big fan of EGW but I won't bash them either. Take a look at these manufacturers:

Badger Ordnance
Murphy Precision
NightForce
Leupold MK4
Seekins Precision
TPS
American Rifle Company
US Optics

All of the above manufacturers make picatinny rails except ARC. The scope/rifle interface is an area I will not, under any circumstance, cut corners. Your rifle is only as capable as your optics & you optics are only as solid as the mounts it sits in.

t

Old 12-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the information gentlemen !

Outlaw6.0
The Zeiss scope does have target turrets and I'll look into the manufactures that you recommended.

Thanks
Scratch
Old 12-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Do yourself a favor, you bought a nice rifle and scope. Don't go for cheap flexy fliers in the mounting department. The list Outlaw stated is a good one. I will add Near Mfg. if you want top quality as well.

Jeff
Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

There is no flex in the EGW HD steel bases.