Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

need advice on long range setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: need advice on long range setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphil View Post
lil tank im not real sure what you mean by a 20MOA base, is this just a higher mounting base? and im not sure what a canted base is either. 20MOA or 20 minutes of angle base is canted or cut at an angle to add elevation adjustment to a scope. Technically if your has 50MOA of adjustment, and after sighting in you use up 20MOA to find your zero, the base in essence would put that back into your elevation adjustment. It's not perfect, but gives you an idea of what a canted base adds to your adjustments to your scope.

I hear alot of talk on hear about sightron and vortex. how do these two brands stack up against leupold or the europeans or nikon? Are they around the same level as a leupold? or are they considered better? Sightron and Vortex are very good optics for the money. Some swear they are better than Leupold and others say they are on par. I personally feel they are better than Nikon in the same price range, both offer more elevation than Nikon. I own a Nikon and like it, but I also own a Vortex Viper and love it. I have used a rifle with the Sightron and it is very good glass. Depending on the model of either the Leupold or the Sightron you chose, they are equal in quality in my opinion, but generally save a little money with Sightron. I personally am looking to get the Vortex PST, Weaver Tactical, or SIII for my next optic.

Could a good gumsmith get my factory trigger below 3lb pull? I have a rem. 700 xcr I believe its the newer style trigger. Yes, any competent gunsmith will be able to adjust your trigger to a crisp 2-3# pull.
Read the bold response
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Bronze Member

Alright i understand now thanks little tank ill have to look into a canted base if i get into extreme long range shooting. I also find that interesting that those scopes are that good of quality. I guess i never tend to hear much about them in northern idaho there arent even really a large supply of them in stores in my area

I recently heard that with 20 degrees farenheit change it will move your rifle a whole MOA per 20 degrees change. Do you know if this is true?
Old 12-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

I Do not have a nikon. mostly leup. but the monarch is one of the more expensive ones i believe and sghould be real good . i xcr has a good stock. if you google remington crisp you should be able to adjust the trigger yer self. i have shot quite a bit of long range and the light rifles give me trouble. if your ngroups at 400- and 500 are good to go, a 338 placed right i am sure is plenty.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Bronze Member

ya the monarch is their top scope besides their tactical ones i believe. I will definately look into that remington crisp. Ive adjusted it some but it seemed like there was a very fine line inbetween it being dangerous. when i would work the bolt sometimes the pin wouldnt stay back. So ill have to look into that thanks

do any of you gies have any experience with a nikon rifle hunter 1000 or the bushnell arc 1200? im in the market for a ragne finder in the 300-400 dollar range. How important is the angle compenstating program in them can their be quite a bit of difference in steep angles with the angle compensating? compared to measureing a straight line?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphil View Post
do any of you gies have any experience with a nikon rifle hunter 1000 or the bushnell arc 1200? im in the market for a ragne finder in the 300-400 dollar range. How important is the angle compenstating program in them can their be quite a bit of difference in steep angles with the angle compensating? compared to measureing a straight line?
The angle compensation can be done by you in the field if you use a calculator or a shooting program. You will need a cosine/angle indicator that mounts to your rifle. It does make a difference in the angle. If you find yourself shooting a steep angle, it actually shortens the distance the bullet needs to fly. For instance, a 220yd target I shoot at, has a .98 cosine. It shortens the distance to 215yds. Its only a drop of 5yds, but at longer distance, it can make a real difference.

Temperature will effect your drops. No some of that has to do with powder burn rate speeds at different temps. The other part has to do with air density.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

If your looking at getting an angle/cosign indicator, i know that they can be just another $200 to throw onto the bill if you get the high end ones. Check out the horus vision device. It has a scope level with the same unit. Thats what I put on my rifles, at least until I can afford to go all out with the better ones. i think that they're about 70$ US. I highly recommend a scope level, even if you dont want the a/c indicator.

if you want to save some $$$ keep you stock. I have and .338 RUM XCR that after a good glass bedding job does really well. I now have three loads that shoot right around .6 MOA most days. Its actually my best shooting rifle.

As far as a range finder goes, just look around for a used lieca 1200. you should be able to find one around that $400 mark and they blow all the bushnell out of the water.

The last thing I will recommend is switching bullets, at least on elk. I have found the 225 sst's to be vey accurate, but not very good preformance wise once it hits the animal. I shot a buck this year @ 150 yards with the above rifle and I found the bullet in the hide about 20" back, stuck in the spine. Well at least the the majority of the jacket (the shot was straight on looking down at me). I would say make the switch over to Accubonds or Barnes TTSX. I would shoot the SST's for deer though, and use em up at the range... there economical.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Bronze Member

so you gies dont think that information was true that for every 20 degrees farenheit change it moves your bullet a whole MOA up or down? I was just curious because it was a marine sniper that told my friend that and i was curous if you gies had heard that?

Im undecided on what all i will do for a rangefinder. I would like to get a leica but i cant make myself spend that much right now and I check the nickels worth every week and i never seem to see used rangefinders. how exacly does that angle compensating device work that you mount on your scope?

I was curous on peoples opinion on the sst's thats interesting. I thought that the accubonds looked like good bullets. Ive heard mixed thoughts on the barnes have you had good luck with them? how about swift scirocco's i thought those sounded like a good bullet too.