Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Need Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
a hart or krieger barrel and you are ready.
there are other equivalent barrel these are two i am have.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

One thing I've learned on this forum. On your first post, always include a max number of what you can or want to spend. No matter the topic, whether if be backpacks, knives,reloading,optics, or complete builds the price tag can go from mild to wild.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Bronze Member

I have $1500 to spend right now if that helps. This is going to be a carry rifle so weight is a concern. I'm thinking about a #4 or #5 contour barrel just not sure what brand. I'm also looking at manners T3 or McMillan A3 sported stock. I like the vertical grip style. The manners stock looks like is its a hybrid between a vertical and regular style. I have also see the gray bull stock that spikes my interest. Does anyone have experience with these stocks. Again this will be a carry long range rifle and needs to be comfortable to shoot off hand and prone. Thanks again
Old 03-16-2013, 08:00 AM
Gold Member

Typically, the best bang for the buck is a new trigger and bedding the action and floating the barrel. Learn to bed your own rifles. Even the cheap tupperware Remington stocks can be bedded. See if that makes an improvement first. If it does, you know you are headed in the right direction. Then move on to a quality stock and bed the action once again. Then spend a few more $$ on a good trigger (I have grown quite find of the Huber Concepts 2-stage trigger). Do these improvements one step at a time and see how much your groups close up.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

What kind of groups are you currently getting?
If they're decent, under and inch at a 100, you probably have something to work with. If not then try bedding what you have and see if the groups improve. If still not good enough get a good barrel put on. I always do the stock last after you know you have something to work with.
One change at a time.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Bronze Member

right now im getting 1/2" groups at 100yds with the 168 NBT with 67 grs of RL 17 behind it.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Bronze Member

right now im getting 1/2" groups at 100yds with the 168 NBT with 67 grs of RL 17 behind it. i did notice a black spot on my barrel where my stock is rubbing so i'm going to float the barrel this weekend. ill let you know how it turns out.