Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

My Story & Several Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: My Story & Several Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmuley View Post
If you expect shots in dark timber at 75 yards, I don't think you really need any of the scopes you listed. I use a 4-12 X 40 on my elk rifle and it is more than adequate. I've practiced out to 850 yards with the set-up so far, and taken elk as close as 42 yards. If I were you, with the budget you have set, I'd look at the new Leupold VX-6. By the way, I hunt the Root too. mtmuley
You live in the Bitterroot? I'll take a look at the VX-6. I would think Bob Wards or Sportsman's Warehouse would have most of those scopes in stock, wouldn't they?

So, you don't have any problem with target acquisition at 4 power? Like I said, I'm really new to this. I believe both rifles I borrowed had 2X7 Leupolds on them.

You ever get a Unit 270 Muley tag? That is kind of like winning PowerBall, LOL.

Last edited by BitterrootBob; 12-23-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added question
Old 12-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Silver Member

Yep, I live in the Root. NE of Corvallis actually. I usually hunt with my scope set at 6 power, and can crank it up when I need to. Took my bull this year at about 60 yards in the timber, but have killed a couple at over 500 yards in the same area. I haven't had any aquisition difficulties. I was in Bob Ward's yesterday to stock up on primers. What a zoo. I didn't look at scopes. Cabela's has the VX-6, and the 2-12x42 is about 900 bucks. It has a 30mm tube, and allows 20 MOA (I think) with one turn, and has the CDS option. I've never even applied for a 270 muley tag. There is another area real close I feel is a better option. mtmuley
Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Silver Member

We should go shoot sometime, once I get this thing put together. Thanks for the advise and help!
Old 12-24-2012, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmuley View Post
If you expect shots in dark timber at 75 yards, I don't think you really need any of the scopes you listed. I use a 4-12 X 40 on my elk rifle and it is more than adequate. I've practiced out to 850 yards with the set-up so far, and taken elk as close as 42 yards. If I were you, with the budget you have set, I'd look at the new Leupold VX-6. By the way, I hunt the Root too. mtmuley
Under 50yds I don't use a scope at all, I drop my eye down and left to sight along the edge of the barrel for those kinds of quick shots.