Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out


Reply

My Story & Several Questions

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 12-21-2012, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,781
Re: My Story & Several Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterrootBob View Post
WildRose,

The extra recoil and muzzle blast etc. is why I haven't done anything on a 2nd rifle. The two I borrowed were a 280 Remington and a 7mm08 Remington. I harvested an elk with each and neither took a single step.

I shot a 338 Win Mag and the recoil was not what I would call comfortable. I also shot a 300 Win Mag and that wasn't too bad but probably the upper end of what I would want to shoot very often.

I have made up my mind, at this point, to finish the 260 Remington and get a season or two under my belt before I worry about adding a second rifle. I started looking at some of the higher end scopes, as you suggested, and by the time I get a scope mounted and this rifle bedded and get some reloading equipment, I am going to have a significant investment.
Since you are taking your time here and as I understand it not going the "full custom" route let me suggest this.

Use the search feature on this site for "bedding rifle" and "bedding scope mounts" along with a youtube search for how to properly bed a rifle yourself. It's really not that hard and it's fun to do what work you can on your own for a lot of us and you are talking a couple of hundred dollars savings right there.

The .338 wm is mild compared to the big .338's but all of these mag's can easily be tamed with a quality muzzle brake. Ross Schuler who is your neighbor one state over makes a very good one for an extremely reasonable price and some of our sponsors here make very good one's as well and some are in your home state.

Visit our 7mm STW thread and give it consideration. It's a phenomenal round for the purposes you detail.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...tml#post733904

This is another good thread I think you may benefit from.

For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars...
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Corvallis, Montana
Posts: 115
Re: My Story & Several Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Since you are taking your time here and as I understand it not going the "full custom" route let me suggest this.

Use the search feature on this site for "bedding rifle" and "bedding scope mounts" along with a youtube search for how to properly bed a rifle yourself. It's really not that hard and it's fun to do what work you can on your own for a lot of us and you are talking a couple of hundred dollars savings right there.

The .338 wm is mild compared to the big .338's but all of these mag's can easily be tamed with a quality muzzle brake. Ross Schuler who is your neighbor one state over makes a very good one for an extremely reasonable price and some of our sponsors here make very good one's as well and some are in your home state.

Visit our 7mm STW thread and give it consideration. It's a phenomenal round for the purposes you detail.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...tml#post733904

This is another good thread I think you may benefit from.

For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars...
I'm going to get this 260 Remington done first, as I said. When the time comes, I'll certainly consider the 7mm STW. After all, the two rifles I borrowed were both 7mm, so I have good vibes with 7mm offerings.

As far as bedding, I'll likely (99.999% chance) do it myself. As I mentioned in the OP, I have hunted with homemade longbows, broadheads etc. To me there is nothing like a successful hunt with equipment made with your own hands.

I've read a bunch and watched some videos on pillar and glass bedding. It doesn't appear all that difficult. I might purchase the video by Richard Franklin entitled "Stress Free Pillar Bedding". Have you seen it? He has a pretty good article on another site about his process. If I can build and tiller a longbow, I believe I can bed a rifle action. I've seen many posts that say to see how the gun shoots before doing anything but I don't believe I'll follow that advise. I plan on bedding the action before a bullet ever goes down the tube.

The other option is the Whidden V-Block. Do you have any experience or thoughts on that versus bedding? Also, it seems many shooters like the Devcon for bedding. Would that be your choice as well?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Corvallis, Montana
Posts: 115
Re: My Story & Several Questions

WildRose, (or anyone else, for that matter)

So, I changed my scope allotment to $1100.00, per your advise. Now, I want to go see if I can find the models on my list to take a look at them, up close & personal. The list I have come up with is:
  • Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 A0 MC; Kenton BDC turrets or Rapid Z
  • Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50
  • Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP
  • Nikon Monarch X 4-16x50
  • Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50mm (30mm) Side Focus
  • Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x50mm (30mm) M1
  • Steiner Predator Xtreme 3-12x56mm
  • Swarovski Z3 4-12x50
  • IOR Valdada Tactical 4-14x50
Any of those stick out to you as better then the others? Also, is their a scope I am missing, in that price range, that I should add to my list?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-23-2012, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,781
Re: My Story & Several Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterrootBob View Post
I'm going to get this 260 Remington done first, as I said. When the time comes, I'll certainly consider the 7mm STW. After all, the two rifles I borrowed were both 7mm, so I have good vibes with 7mm offerings.

As far as bedding, I'll likely (99.999% chance) do it myself. As I mentioned in the OP, I have hunted with homemade longbows, broadheads etc. To me there is nothing like a successful hunt with equipment made with your own hands.

I've read a bunch and watched some videos on pillar and glass bedding. It doesn't appear all that difficult. I might purchase the video by Richard Franklin entitled "Stress Free Pillar Bedding". Have you seen it? He has a pretty good article on another site about his process. If I can build and tiller a longbow, I believe I can bed a rifle action. I've seen many posts that say to see how the gun shoots before doing anything but I don't believe I'll follow that advise. I plan on bedding the action before a bullet ever goes down the tube.

The other option is the Whidden V-Block. Do you have any experience or thoughts on that versus bedding? Also, it seems many shooters like the Devcon for bedding. Would that be your choice as well?
If you are a handy guy and have a basic understanding of "Farm Physics" it's not that difficult.

I learned by trial and error before video tape was invented so... .

Haven't seen the video. Basically I remove as much material as I can around the action except at the holes for the action screws without defacing the stock or weakening it and I replace it with epoxy.

One thing I'll recommend is do either the recoil lug area first or the action area first and then the other rather than both at once on your first few and it will save you some heart pounding wondering if you'll ever get it apart again HA!

Use lots of release agent and then use twice that much.

I prefer the pillars to the bedding block because getting a good fit with the block requires more precision and tools than most of us have and once those pillars are set in the epoxy it's absolutely solid. It's also very difficult to ensure a super solid mating between the bedding block and the stock.

The last couple I did I did with Devcon. It is certainly more expensive than a lot of the products out there but it works well and once it sets up it's hell for stout.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,781
Re: My Story & Several Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterrootBob View Post
WildRose, (or anyone else, for that matter)

So, I changed my scope allotment to $1100.00, per your advise. Now, I want to go see if I can find the models on my list to take a look at them, up close & personal. The list I have come up with is:
  • Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 A0 MC; Kenton BDC turrets or Rapid Z
  • Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50
  • Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP
  • Nikon Monarch X 4-16x50
  • Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50mm (30mm) Side Focus
  • Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x50mm (30mm) M1
  • Steiner Predator Xtreme 3-12x56mm
  • Swarovski Z3 4-12x50
  • IOR Valdada Tactical 4-14x50
Any of those stick out to you as better then the others? Also, is their a scope I am missing, in that price range, that I should add to my list?
I've seen good/bad reviews on the kenton turrets. My recommedation would be regular target or tactical turrets for any of them. Even if you get custom turrets for a specific load you need different turrets anytime you change loads or have a big change in temps or elevation.

You can always get one of those little tape label makers and once you set and verify your ranges mark one and stick it on any turret.

There are no bad choices in your list. I don't have much experience with the Vortex personally yet but everyone I know who has one is happy with it although many will "upgrade" as soon as they can afford it. I just bought two and I'll play with them for a year on a 300wm and a 7mm STW and see what I think.

The Zeiss Conquest series are really outstanding value for the price. My personal favorites are my IOR 4.5-14x50 tactical and my Leupold Mark 4's one ea in 6.5-20x50 and 8.5-25x50. Both of the latter have M1 turrets, one with the Mild dot and one with the TM reticles. I've shot mildots for so long it's like looking in the mirror but the IOR MP8 is my all time favorite reticle.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Corvallis, Montana
Posts: 115
Re: My Story & Several Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
I've seen good/bad reviews on the kenton turrets. My recommedation would be regular target or tactical turrets for any of them. Even if you get custom turrets for a specific load you need different turrets anytime you change loads or have a big change in temps or elevation.

You can always get one of those little tape label makers and once you set and verify your ranges mark one and stick it on any turret.

There are no bad choices in your list. I don't have much experience with the Vortex personally yet but everyone I know who has one is happy with it although many will "upgrade" as soon as they can afford it. I just bought two and I'll play with them for a year on a 300wm and a 7mm STW and see what I think.

The Zeiss Conquest series are really outstanding value for the price. My personal favorites are my IOR 4.5-14x50 tactical and my Leupold Mark 4's one ea in 6.5-20x50 and 8.5-25x50. Both of the latter have M1 turrets, one with the Mild dot and one with the TM reticles. I've shot mildots for so long it's like looking in the mirror but the IOR MP8 is my all time favorite reticle.
I really appreciate all of your help! I have some concern on these scopes at the low end of their magnification. You mention a Mark 4 6.5X20X50 and 8.5X25X50. Are these strictly open country and/or target scopes? How difficult is target acquisition at say 75 yards in dark timber? Even the scopes I listed starting at 4.5 magnification concern me somewhat. It looks as though you lose about 8 feet field of view going from 4.5 to 6.5, if I am reading the Zeiss specs correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: montana
Posts: 156
Re: My Story & Several Questions

If you expect shots in dark timber at 75 yards, I don't think you really need any of the scopes you listed. I use a 4-12 X 40 on my elk rifle and it is more than adequate. I've practiced out to 850 yards with the set-up so far, and taken elk as close as 42 yards. If I were you, with the budget you have set, I'd look at the new Leupold VX-6. By the way, I hunt the Root too. mtmuley
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC